Technical Fuel Consumption on a Doblo

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Consumption on a Doblo

I'm now having to do some evening runs up and down the local dual carriageway. Only 18 miles each time but if I pootle along at 60 I can get really good economy, up from my usual 40 to 47 at last fill.
Trouble is, it is really difficult keeping the speed down to 60 when the micras & KAs are flying past & I just know I can have them:devil:
I'm showing about 19k on the clock now.

Just back from a 5-day round trip in a new 1.3 Multijet Cargo. Fife to Nottingham, then down to Brackley, back up to Lincoln and return to Fife, plus a bit of local running about in-between. Average fuel consumption, as shown on display, is 46.8 mpg. A bit disappointing as my previous 1.9 JTD Estate was showing 53mpg for a similar journey.

Maybe the engine is still a bit tight but I suspect it's more a case of it having to work harderto shift the given load. The 1.3 clearly doesn't have the grunt of the 1.9, in fact the engine characteristics are noticably different but it still went like a train - Lincoln to Dundee, door to door, in six hours dead. Pouring rain and no stops! In reality, it's just as well I didn't go for the 1.9 Cargo, in light of the recent "Speeding" thread I might have ahem ... come unstuck.

I am aware that there may be a degree of operational inaccuracy, involved in the display readings, but would they vary between individual units?
I know, since thay depend upon sensor readings etc. that the answer must be yes but it's just so easy to press that button. I really must get round to calculating the mpg by more conventional means, sometime soon.

My 06 Cargo SX 1.9jtd otherwise known as Goat, gets around 43-45 in town, 41-43 on when on long trips in Europe as I tend to cruise (with 3rd party cruise control fitted) at around 70-73 (gps).

Anything less than 400 a tank is the low point in my book, and a week in Scandinavia last month was seeing around 500 miles per tank, which was nice.

And all that is with a small load and two people with the aircon on.

The running in of Goat probably got me about 3mpg overall, so not a huge increase for any new owners waiting for a huge improvement.

I keep reading about the great mpg to be had on the earlier 1.9 JTD engines. The multijet 1.9 seems to have gone backwards when it comes to economy :(.

I was reading the IAM magazine yesterday (an old copy in the doctors waiting room, I'm not a member) and there was a letter from a Doblo owner complaining that he couldn't average more than 39mpg in a 1.9 multijet. If IAM drivers can't do it, then it proves to me that I'm not just being lead footed as they must be some of most careful drivers on the road.

I had a 1.9jtd with 240,000 on the clock and averaged 48 mpg (fill up to fill up). I test drove a VW Caddy and only got 44 mpg so plumbed for another Doblo. 1.9 multijet guess what, 42mpg :confused: Ok so the road tax is less than the JTD but the JTD pulled better as well.

Just managed to get 59.3 mpg out of my 1.3 MJ Panorama on a 100 miles B-road trip (at night, clear road). Im so so surprised... (y)

My 06 Cargo SX 1.9jtd otherwise known as Goat, gets around 43-45 in town, 41-43 on when on long trips in Europe as I tend to cruise (with 3rd party cruise control fitted) at around 70-73 (gps).

Anything less than 400 a tank is the low point in my book, and a week in Scandinavia last month was seeing around 500 miles per tank, which was nice.

And all that is with a small load and two people with the aircon on.

The running in of Goat probably got me about 3mpg overall, so not a huge increase for any new owners waiting for a huge improvement.

Interesting you mention the aircon being on. I had mine on most of the summer & didn't notice any drop in fuel consumption - even on town journeys. It is often said that the aircon sucks the juice - maybe so on less powerful cars but I reckon the 1.9 diesel is putting out more than enough power to cope with the added load of the aircon, hence the unnoticeable difference?

Back