Technical Fuel Consumption on a Doblo

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Consumption on a Doblo

DOBEE

Hi there

I have a '56' Doblo 1.9 Multijet (7 seater) and I wanted to get an idea of fuel consumption so I stuck £ 50 worth of Diesel in the tank (which was virtually empty) and took a note of the mileage which was 9430. I have just refilled it with another £ 50 worth of diesel - the mileage at the time of refuelling was 9763. Ok - I was driving into town and doing mainly short stop-start journeys but get the impression that the fuel economy isn't that hot ?? Should I get the garage to check it over ? The car did have an engine warning light come up after three months and it turned out to be something to do with the diesel particulate filter (which the garage said they regenerated).

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi according to your mileage thats 333 from £ 50 firstly how much are you paying for a litre ! if its like round here I am at £124.9 so times 4.54 litres thats about £ 5.67 a gallon:eek:which would give you about 8.8 gallons for your £50
8.8 galons times 38mpg round town is 334 miles so sounds about right to me.

So many variables but i think the pure and simple case is the cost of diesel has rocketed.

Hope this helps:)

I have the 1.9 multijet 7 seater, 06 plate, and I can only average about 38 to 39 mpg. I think that's about as good as it gets for this model.
The twin rear seats are very heavy so if you don't use them much you could try taking them out. This might show a bit of an improvement in fuel consumption.

Dobee,

I'm sorry but your test needs repeating. You don't actualy know how much fuel you used do you? Putting £50 worth in, driving around and then putting another £50 worth in is meaningless. You need to fill it up completely, drive it until it needs fuel and then fill it up completely again.

If you noted your mileage at the start and end you will know exactly how much fuel you used and the distance covered.

You can then work out your mpg as

miles / litres bought at end * 4.546

Last edited:
As a true scientist I should know better ;) Admittedly the needle on the gauge wasnt right up to maximum anyway on the occassion when refuelling. This was despite the fact that the pump's 'automatic' sensor wouldn't allow me to put any more diesel in ! I will pop back to the garage tomorrow, fill the tank to the brim, then see how I get on. Diesel is £ 1.20 a litre round our way (average).....I tried ASDA but it was manic today !

I'm averaging between 35 & 40 mpg. All my journeys are around town & I rarely use the same fuel - just going where it's cheapest now. Some garages are charging £1.25, one or two small concerns still charging £1.20.
Seems to drink more if I rev the engine whilst idling or drive hard on the throttle.
Chap at the garage reckoned they all differ slightly & there is little that can be done to improve things aside from fresh filters & fresh oil.

Yeah....being the cynic that I am, these ASDA store cards are just like all of them; they give with one hand and take with the other. They like to give you the illusion of getting a bargain, like 2p off a litre of diesel etc. but have you noticed the APR ??

Yeah....being the cynic that I am, these ASDA store cards are just like all of them; they give with one hand and take with the other. They like to give you the illusion of getting a bargain, like 2p off a litre of diesel etc. but have you noticed the APR ??

But surely the APR doesn't come into effect if you pay your card off in advance?

And nearest Asda to me is a 35 mile round trip.
Tesco have the stranglehold round here, Morrisons don't seem interested (or maybe not allowed) to install pumps, Sainsbury's is waaaaay too small.
We have a Lidl and an Aldi is opening soon - now why can't they offer cutprice fuel?

Tesco rant...

We only have a Tesco in Shepton Mallet, they're currently charging £1.26. There are other independent garages but they seem to follow with whatever Tesco is charging.
Tesco used to be on the outskirts of town, but when a large factory closed in the town centre, Tesco bought the site. There is now a huge Tesco in the centre of town.
The old Tesco site is now owned by the council. There are rumours that Tesco gave back handers to the council, including ownership of the old shop, in return for securing the site in the town centre.
Everyone thought the old shop would become an Asda or Sainsburys with cut price fuel, but apparently Tesco has a clause saying that it cannot be used for retail use. Very dodgy.
Recently a local developer asked for permission to turn the old Tesco into a bowling alley and cinema. This was refused on the grounds that it was 'retail use'.
This is just the sort of place that local kids could do with as there is nothing in the way of entertainment in the town.
Now the rumours are that it's going to be a Dobbies garden centre.
This is weird, as not only is there already a Focus directly opposite, with a garden centre, but also Tesco have recently acquired a majority stake in Dobbies garden centres.

Cloak and dagger stuff in mid-Somerset.

Sorry for the long rant but I'd like to see some competition for fuel prices in our town but we ain't going to get it.

I know that tesco very well having spent a few weeks last summer at the B&W showground (Soul survivor). In tesco everyday stocking up on essentials for camp. The focus over the way was useless as far as BBQs were concerned, they had pathetic stocks of stuff.

I know that tesco very well having spent a few weeks last summer at the B&W showground (Soul survivor). In tesco everyday stocking up on essentials for camp. .

I've taken a group from London to Soul survivor ( I used to be a coach driver) at the b&w.
Are you going this year?
The focus over the way was useless as far as BBQs were concerned, they had pathetic stocks of stuff.

maybe it had all been bought before you got there? You've got to be quick when these big events are on. ;)

Newish 1.9 turbo diesel is doing about 41mpg (brim to brim) whilst the computer reads 44mpg. Seems to be improving slightly with growing miles (still only 5K) but driven with a very light right foot.

We do still have to remember that the mileometer (how do you spell that?) will be optimistic too, so whilst I think I've done 500 miles on a tank. it will be less than that. If it is as inaccurate as the speedo, then perhaps 5% over the top.

Peter

I've taken a group from London to Soul survivor ( I used to be a coach driver) at the b&w.
Are you going this year?

maybe it had all been bought before you got there? You've got to be quick when these big events are on. ;)

Not got the time off this year but eldest lad is going for 2 weeks.
Quite enjoyed it last year (despite the rain), I just sat by the tent kicking back & enjoying the peace & quiet while everyone else was at the events.
I was chief cook for the encampment (we'd formed a circle of half a dozen caravans & many tents) so as long as I had something hot prepared for everyone when they came back from the talks etc they were all happy campers.
Took my gas BBQ & a half oil drum BBQ to supply constant hot water (the fuel was generally anything that burns & there were plenty of discarded papers, paper plates, pallettes etc).

I have Doblo Cargo 1.3 multijet....I drive very carefully and hardley touch the brakes on a clear road......average of 56 miles per gallon over 3 years.

I have a 1.9JTD and I get about 45.

This is not the most economical diesel engine of its size, but it is sweet, and the Doblo is big, and can carry a lot of stuff:D

Newish 1.9 turbo diesel is doing about 41mpg (brim to brim) whilst the computer reads 44mpg. Seems to be improving slightly with growing miles (still only 5K) but driven with a very light right foot.

We do still have to remember that the mileometer (how do you spell that?) will be optimistic too, so whilst I think I've done 500 miles on a tank. it will be less than that. If it is as inaccurate as the speedo, then perhaps 5% over the top.

Peter

Is that a 5 or 7 seater just out of curiosity ? I have taken out the back seats out of my 7 seater 1.9 Doblo Family and now its a 5 seater but with one lovely big boot. As it rarely gets used as a 7 seater I will leave it as that.

Back