Technical frozen diesel - now runs like a dog

Currently reading:
Technical frozen diesel - now runs like a dog

graemechalmers

I have a TD100 and recently the diesel froze. (-20degrees) the car starts perfectly and will run ok for a short time, but then it appears to be running on 2 or 3 cylinders, there is no real smoke belching out the exhaust , and as soon as i switch off the ignition and restart it runs fine again , only temporarily though.
I changed the fuel filter and air filter, but have been told by someone (slightly mechanically minded) that it could be a cracked injector, or blocked injector.
How easy or difficult is it to replace injectors.
Any help greatly appreciated.

It goes like jelly :eek: :eek:

When I had my truck I had a heater (a block heated by a thermostat controlled glow plug) installed before the fuel filter, it made one hell of a difference in winter.

It also helps to have a cleaner filter just incase you got it full of crud.

Trev

The cold temperatures were a one off , and now it's back in the warmer weather it still has the same problem, i am only guesing that the problem is when the diesel froze as thats when it started, the problem is getting worse now.
It has to be a fuel delivery problem of some sort.

Is it actually misfiring (bad vibration and noise) or is it more like fuel starvation (won't rev up) ?. If it seems like starvation is it airlocking ?. check your fuel lines from the filter back to the tank (use slight pressure from an air compressor or pump to blow through them back to the tank), or use a temporary fuel tank in the form of a can of diesel and hook it up at the filter to see if that allows it to run. It could be all coincidence that the diesel gelled up.

Back