Technical Front spray failed, rear spray working - stalk?

Currently reading:
Technical Front spray failed, rear spray working - stalk?

ChristofSchwiening

My Panda 2004 front sprayer has stopped working (no noise from pump), but the rear sprayer still makes a noise (but no water - presumably just blocked). So, I assume the wiring to the pump (I think it is a single pump working forwards or backwards to supply front and back) is intact.

I have checked the fuses and they are fine, not that they could explain the symptoms. I now think it must be the stalk that is faulty. When I pull the stalk forward to activate the sprayer there is just a smooth resistance, no 'click' is audible and there is no feeling of a switch being activated. Is there any further test that I could do before I order a new stalk?

I could try and get a test meter onto connector B at the internal fuse box and check the voltage on lines 3 & 4 (http://4cardata.info/elearn/169/2/2009000/2000901/2001391/2751467) but, I don't know how easy that is to do. Or, should I pull the pump and measure the voltage there - I guess it is possible that the relay is very quiet and that the pump refuses to work in one direction whilst working in the other...Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
So, having removed connector B from the passenger fuse box I put 12V between lines 3 & 4 (S & V colour codes - pink and green) and the pump sprayed water to the front screen. So, the pump is OK. That means it must be the stalk (or relay) - but given the feeling of the stalk and the lack of washer action when it is pulled forward I am pretty sure it must be the stalk.

I am tempted to just add a switch to the dash to apply power directly to lines 3 & 4 rather than replace the stalk.

My Panda 2004 front sprayer has stopped working (no noise from pump), but the rear sprayer still makes a noise (but no water - presumably just blocked). So, I assume the wiring to the pump (I think it is a single pump working forwards or backwards to supply front and back) is intact.
correct, Plus and minus swapped over at the body computer
I have checked the fuses and they are fine,
the fuse for the washer isn't in either fuse box location, its directly on the body computer above the accelerator pedal (F54),
not that they could explain the symptoms. I now think it must be the stalk that is faulty. When I pull the stalk forward to activate the sprayer there is just a smooth resistance, no 'click' is audible and there is no feeling of a switch being activated. Is there any further test that I could do before I order a new stalk?
if the stalk is working there should be a faint click from just above the accelerator pedal as its activated, from memory its normal there is no feeling of a switch in the stalk
I could try and get a test meter onto connector B at the internal fuse box and check the voltage on lines 3 & 4 (http://4cardata.info/elearn/169/2/2009000/2000901/2001391/2751467) but, I don't know how easy that is to do. Or, should I pull the pump and measure the voltage there -
f54 isnt in the fuse box, yes you could try a multi meter here, but seems pointless, at the moment, might be worth checking the fuse, but as the motor turns one direction its very unlikely

I guess it is possible that the relay is very quiet and that the pump refuses to work in one direction whilst working in the other...Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
yes the relay is very quite, you need the radio off, blowers off and you head under the steering wheel, This would confirm if the fault was from the switch to the body computer.

I would start by fixing the rear. If a pipe has popped off you could be filling somewhere with water, pull the pipes of the pump and see if water is sprayed out, I might just swap the pipes over as I rarely use the rear. You might have to explain to the MOT tester

yes its possible for a motor to fail to turn in one direction, back probing the motor connection would confirm if the motor was at fault

So, having removed connector B from the passenger fuse box I put 12V between lines 3 & 4 (S & V colour codes - pink and green) and the pump sprayed water to the front screen. So, the pump is OK. That means it must be the stalk (or relay) - but given the feeling of the stalk and the lack of washer action when it is pulled forward I am pretty sure it must be the stalk.

I am tempted to just add a switch to the dash to apply power directly to lines 3 & 4 rather than replace the stalk.
just swap the pipes over 5 minute job and you are Good to go, I remember when cars didn't even have a rear wiper

Ah! Switching the pipes is an excellent idea! I am now going to do that - why didn't I think of that? Fantastic solution.

OK, it's done. I cut the pipe to the rear (smaller diameter than the front pipe) at the point it passes the connection to the nozzles and attached it to the nozzle connector using a bit of spare rubber pipe. Job done! Now I just need to put a note in my diary to fix this properly before the MOT (if the car gets to that point...)

OK, it's done. I cut the pipe to the rear (smaller diameter than the front pipe) at the point it passes the connection to the nozzles and attached it to the nozzle connector using a bit of spare rubber pipe. Job done! Now I just need to put a note in my diary to fix this properly before the MOT (if the car gets to that point...)
that was quick, Well done on fixing it ✔
its fine for a MOT it only needs to work, the examiner just needs to aware of how it now operates

that was quick, Well done on fixing it ✔
its fine for a MOT it only needs to work, the examiner just needs to aware of how it now operates
Many, many thanks! That saved me so much work and time. I will add a sticker to the dash somewhere to remind my wife (and MOT tester) about the alteration.

Back