Technical Front spot lights

Currently reading:
Technical Front spot lights

Retirree

I have a 500 1.2 sport I would like to know if any other member has fitted front spot lights and if they encountered any issues. I have the lights and the bezels that fit in the front valance but I would like to know if there is pre wiring behind the valance or not before removing. Also can you obtain the switch that fits into the dash or can you use existing.
Anyone help or advise many thanks from the Retirree

Welcome the wiring maybe there some cars had the loom others not, they use the same switch as the rears but it may need reprogramming in the body computer you could wire them to a hidden switch, but I'm led to believe that their output is "poor" making them possibly redundant.

I added the front fog lights as the little green n yellow connector was dangling down on the passenger side front near crash bar
If that’s there and quite possibly will be then you need to find the loom that will run across the front bumper (eBay)

Then it’s a 5 min job with MES to activate them
I actually found the correct switch on eBay with dual fog light symbols so just swapped it
It will actually work with the same switch you just press twice and the dash will light up both front n rear symbols

Mine has the foglights already but what I really want to do is fit driving lights. I can get a pair of 5" (round) stainless lamps and wiring presents no difficulties but what's holding me up is finding some sort of bracket to attach the lamps to the bumper.

Mine has the foglights already but what I really want to do is fit driving lights. I can get a pair of 5" (round) stainless lamps and wiring presents no difficulties but what's holding me up is finding some sort of bracket to attach the lamps to the bumper.

Some old skool Cibie driving lamp chrome brackets might clamp to the grille.

I fitted driving lamps to the R50 Mini I had some years ago. The mounting brackets were fastened by self tappers into the inner skin of the bonnet underside, and protuded through the gap under the bonnet front edge, then bent up to mount the lamps on. Don't know if something similar is available for the 500.

Welcome the wiring maybe there some cars had the loom others not, they use the same switch as the rears but it may need reprogramming in the body computer you could wire them to a hidden switch, but I'm led to believe that their output is "poor" making them possibly redundant.
Your not wrong the “output “ is weak at best ? and I upgraded the bulbs for them too to ultra bright white ... not a great difference... but they do look pretty lol and I suppose in fog every little helps!?

I like the look of the dome lights - wonder if you could nick 'em off a Defender...?

I could easily mount a couple of driving lights on one of those number plate brackets but I don't like the look of having them too close together. Just below and to the inside of the headlights would be my ideal. They'd have to be halogen types too - LED's just wouldn't look right.

I like the look of the dome lights - wonder if you could nick 'em off a Defender...?

That´s a possible source indeed :D

I could easily mount a couple of driving lights on one of those number plate brackets but I don't like the look of having them too close together. Just below and to the inside of the headlights would be my ideal. They'd have to be halogen types too - LED's just wouldn't look right.

MINI features some add on spot lights for the new mini - nice small chrome lights, and LEDs too. They do look good. (y)

Me too until this weekend ? we had dense fog for 3 days in a row!

And did the fog lights really make a difference ?
To me they only make sense when you can switch the headlights off at the same time, otherwise in dense fog you get blinded anyway. And in most modern cars, that is just impossible.
Also, the fog lights these days are designed as a supporting light only, on their own, they are useless.

In the Mini I had before, it could theoretically be done - switch off the headlight and then switch on the fog light. But try to do that while driving in fog....

The MINI lights were what I intended using - they're about 5" and I've seen them in stainless (chrome does not last).

You don't have to drive very far out of the Melbourne suburbs before driving lights come into their own and I regard the FIAT's headlights as barely adequate even in the city. In any case I like the look of cars with driving lights.

Fog in these parts is rare, and it's even rarer for me to be out in it these days, so the fog-lights don't see much use...

Back