Technical front end removal help needed

Currently reading:
Technical front end removal help needed

finally did it.,. but have to pause any work for today as its raining outside again..:mad:

thanks given davren...

Last edited:
If you look at post #14, there is a front panel on the picture. I've got a damaged front, and was at the AA garage today to get an independent view of the damage. The bumper's cracked but useable. But there are some cracks on the internal plastics, and if I get this right, there is one plastic piece surrounding the radiator, and one plastic piece as shown in post #14. I can't find this item on any pictures in this thread. Where is this part supposed to be? Are the lights mounted on this one?

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before the snow melts, and parts are ordered. I've not been inside the front, but these pictures are helpful. I'd really like a walkthrough of the front end removal.

M.

If you look at post #14, there is a front panel on the picture. I've got a damaged front, and was at the AA garage today to get an independent view of the damage. The bumper's cracked but useable. But there are some cracks on the internal plastics, and if I get this right, there is one plastic piece surrounding the radiator, and one plastic piece as shown in post #14. I can't find this item on any pictures in this thread. Where is this part supposed to be? Are the lights mounted on this one?

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before the snow melts, and parts are ordered. I've not been inside the front, but these pictures are helpful. I'd really like a walkthrough of the front end removal.

M.

now the front panel removal was very interesting as i've never seen so many screws to remove... its 1 big piece held closely to front bumper support..

there are about 10 large 15mm screw and quite a few 10mm/ 8mm screws to undo in front then three 10mm screws underneath.

on my pic bumper support is removed but the earlier pic shows it (see post 18)

so you remove front bumper, bumper support, front panel (this is were im at the moment), radiator and radiator housing/ fan.. the front panel screws into radiator housing covering view of the radiator.

hopefully weather permitting tomorrow i will start puting the bits back on the car and take pics as i go along before i forget where the screws go..

I'd be very happy for some pictures. I look at your pictures at post #18, but still can't see anything that looks like a front panel. What's the purpose of this panel?

How did you remove the lights?

I've had a hit-and-run so my front is bent in under the car, crackin the bumper, making the radiator leak even more, letting the undertray scrape the ground, and having huge cracks in the internal plastics. So I suspect both this front panel and the radiator housing. In addition my aircon rad is leaking so everything has to come off. :yuck: When weather conditions get better - in a couple of months.

I'd be very happy for some pictures. I look at your pictures at post #18, but still can't see anything that looks like a front panel. What's the purpose of this panel?

How did you remove the lights?

I've had a hit-and-run so my front is bent in under the car, crackin the bumper, making the radiator leak even more, letting the undertray scrape the ground, and having huge cracks in the internal plastics. So I suspect both this front panel and the radiator housing. In addition my aircon rad is leaking so everything has to come off. :yuck: When weather conditions get better - in a couple of months.

front panel is removed in both pics.. i meant it sits btw bumper support and rad.. my rad housing is a bit cracked but rad is ok so im gonna have to manage it like that.. the lights were both cracked so came off b4 the front panel. so i'll be putting it back this way>> front panel screws into radiator housing> bumper support> headlights> front bumper..

Ah... I see. Looking forward to the pictures of the assembly. Your first "thanks" by the way. (y)

The bumper support is actually what we'd call the real bumper then? When I was at the AA today the bumper support (going across the front) seemed in perfect condition. The strike has been below that one, making an "L shaped force" hit the front.

The fun thing is that the main bumper is nearly in perfect condition, so the one that's driven into it might have had a look, assumed it was ok, and driven off. But given me some real £ pain.

Last edited:
Ah... I see. Looking forward to the pictures of the assembly. Your first "thanks" by the way. (y)

The bumper support is actually what we'd call the real bumper then? When I was at the AA today the bumper support (going across the front) seemed in perfect condition. The strike has been below that one, making an "L shaped force" hit the front.

The fun thing is that the main bumper is nearly in perfect condition, so the one that's driven into it might have had a look, assumed it was ok, and driven off. But given me some real £ pain.

cheers mate.. will hopefully have some pics tomorrow...

well managed to fit wing, front panel, bumper support and one headlight.. unfortunately one of the headlights (o/s) doesn't fit.. :eek:

think they must sold me a 3dr headlight and the edge seems quite sharp rather that curvy like the 5dr door.. (n)

oh well have to wait to monday now to get another one and should be sorted... :rolleyes:

got some more pics...

Attachments

• 15012011073.jpg
    15012011073.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 15012011076.jpg
    15012011076.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 15012011077.jpg
    15012011077.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 32
just checked the part no's on the headlights.. the one that fits has part no. 517126430 and the one that doesn't fit part no. 517127080

The bumper clamp bracket has elongated fixing holes. It needs to be fitted with the top of the bracket just touching the bottom of the headlamp. The top edge of the bumper then fits snugly between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the headlamp, otherwise, it's likely to rattle.

Attachments

• Bumper Clamp.jpg
    Bumper Clamp.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 77
finally finished the car today (y)

minor issue now is im getting front indicator fault on dash and i've checked bulb and it is fine :confused:

Attachments

• 28012011084.jpg
    28012011084.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 28012011085.jpg
    28012011085.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 24
side repeater works but front indicator doesnt also the front parking lights dont come on as well. pls what can i use to clean connectors? cheers

When you say you've checked the bulb and it's fine, do you mean it's working properly in the indicator and you get the warning for no reason?

To clean electrical contacts, you'll need electrical contact cleaner (not WD40) available from Halfords for about £4

i meant that i have check bulb filament and its fine.. but it doesn't flash in headlight. think it may be a connection problem rather than the bulbs..

Back