Technical Front Control Arms

Currently reading:
Technical Front Control Arms

Just a tip for those inclined to follow the AutoDoc tutorials when replacing the front control arms on the b:
It is not necessary to remove the brake caliper. It's a whole series of extra steps that take a lot of time and trouble and offer no advantage.
I did left and right this weekend. The first 1 took me 3.5 hours with a lot of swearing and aggravation. The 2nd 1 I did in 50 minutes.
Sorry! No photos. The AutoDoc tutorial for the Fiat Punto/Bravo/Panda control arms is pretty comprehensive.

The only real problem, was the most unexpected: removing the cinch-bolt. Loosen the nut. Don't try to bang the bold through !
Take a long breaker-bar with a 15mm socket. Working from the head of the bolt, try to get a tiny bit of motion. 20 degrees back and forth. Slow and easy. After 3 or 4 cycles, you get an extra 15 degrees. Don't try to screw it out. That bit of motion is enough. Replace the nut on the threaded end and give a slight tap with a heavy hammer. Maybe twice. The bold will release and slide out.
When replacing the ball-joint, don't tap it all the way in; just until the curvature is exposed for the cinch-bolt.

The steering arms. I did these the old-fashioned way: mark the position, wind them off and count the turns. Re-install the same way. This is accurate enough until the rear trailing-arms get done. Then I will have the car aligned at the tire shop.

A definitely necessary tool is a simple ball-joint separator. Amazon. See photo 1

I bought this rack (also from Amazon see photo 2). Took off the hard-top Sunday and went for a great Spring drive!

Good luck to all! And happy driving ;)

Attachments

• Ball-joint seperator set.JPG
    Ball-joint seperator set.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 66
  • HT Rack.JPG
    HT Rack.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi, thanks for that information. I did mine recently and the cinch bolts came out ok for me but separating the ball joint took some heavy blows, I'd agree that the separator is essential. I think your technique on the bolts would have helped me with my shock absorber pinch bolts which were a real hassle.
Thanks for the note on the Autodoc tutorial, I'd never thought of looking there for instructions, I'll make sure I look next time. Interestingly Fiat don't mention removing the brake caliper either in the service manual (First job in the suspension section) and I can't see it as necessary at all.
Glad you had a good drive, I'm out in mine today, after a winter of fiddling with the car it's great to just get out there and enjoy it

Back