Technical Freewheeling pulley on Alternator failure

Currently reading:
Technical Freewheeling pulley on Alternator failure

I thought I'd share this, really just for info.

It turns out that on my 2018 Multijet Panda, the pulley on the alternator that the drive belt runs over is of the freewheeling type, designed to uncouple the drive at certain times (eg sudden lift-off of the throttle) to prevent the belt from being stressed and to make everything smoother. This may apply to the TA engines too?

For a while now (maybe a year), after driving through some deep flood water, the alternator has tended to whine. Briefly - a few days - after going through that floodwater, the alternator would occasionally make a noise like a dry bearing, but this went away, although a constant 'hum' remained. More recently, on starting the car, the engine would initially idle smoothly but then start 'hunting' (the revs rising and and falling in a pulsing way, a bit like the way a lawnmower does). And, on turning the engine off (or the stop/start stopping it), there was a sort of 'sigh' as the alternator slowed and stopped.

I knew it needed attention but have been putting it off as all was still working, just not sounding as sweet as it should.

Yesterday, returning to Hertfordshire from North Norfolk, through biblical rain and unavoidable shallow floods of sandy/muddy runoff from the local fields, the alternator drive again started to whine loudly. But again, after a few miles more it was back to 'just' humming and apparently al was well(ish).

However, as we headed south, the battery light came on (showing the alternator was not charging it), initially just briefly, now and again, but gradually staying on for longer each time as teh alternator drive failed further, and the car started to go through the list of all the warnings it shows as the voltage drops (in passing, confirming my long-held view that these warnings are nearly always linked to voltage drops rather than actual parts failing)... in order: ESC/Hillholder not available; later, 4x4 mode unavailable. Then, as we continued the 100 mile trip various other messages including about loss of ABS, airbag system, Power Steering, Fuel Cut off and finally 'Check engine'. Each accompanied by a growing Christmas Tree of lights. Frustratingly, less than a mile from home, the last electrical item still functioning - the fuel pump - cut out as the battery finally gave up. I had hoped to nurse it all the way, and fell just short after 99 miles. Britannia Rescue jump started it to drive up onto the recovery truck and got me to a local garage where hopefully it will be fixed in a couple of days.

And what's failed? Well, quite simply that freewheeling clutch on the pulley (for example and explanation , see here https://idpartsblog.com/2018/07/09/clutched-alternator-pulleys-are-important/ [edited - a better link inserted] ). I speculate that it has failed in a way that means it's not driving the alternator at all: initially harmed by sand in the works a year ago wearing away part of the clutch system, and finally failing fully during the drive yesterday. The pulley is a separate part and can (in theory) be removed with the alternator in situ (there's a special tool that holds the works still while you unscrew the pulley from its spindle.)

I'll keep you posted :)

Last edited:
Yes Freewheeling or in effect a one way or "sprag" clutch, so it only transmits drive in one direction when working.
Much the same as in a starter pinion, if you have a starter on the floor you can turn the gear one way freely though a bit stiff and the other way it turns the shaft/armature of the starter. You don't hear of it very often these days but when they fail and you turn the ignition you get an awful screeching/ringing noise but the engine doesn't turn over.

Yes Freewheeling or in effect a one way or "sprag" clutch, so it only transmits drive in one direction when working.
Much the same as in a starter pinion, if you have a starter on the floor you can turn the gear one way freely though a bit stiff and the other way it turns the shaft/armature of the starter. You don't hear of it very often these days but when they fail and you turn the ignition you get an awful screeching/ringing noise but the engine doesn't turn over.
Does anyone know IF this applies to the TA engine?

Does anyone know IF this applies to the TA engine?
There’s a simple visual way to tell. If the alternator pulley has a black plastic cap over the whole of the end of the pulley (the face away from the alternator and towards the wheelarch) then it is a pulley with a clutch in it. Generally the pulley is a smaller diameter too than might be expected (in my case 54mm I think)

The image shows a typical freewheel pulley with the end cap lying alongside.
1698093627359.png

Last edited:
There’s a simple visual way to tell. If the alternator pulley has a black plastic cap over the whole of the end of the pulley (the face away from the alternator and towards the wheelarch) then it is a pulley with a clutch in it. Generally the pulley is a smaller diameter too than might be expected (in my case 54mm I think)

I did have a noisy one that I prised that cap of and squirted oil in, which quietened it a little, referring back to the start of that part of the post , though it wasn't a long term cure.:(

over running alternator pulley OAP 😄.
Normally fail locked solid.
Cheap unbranded types not worth trying.

As promised, an update.
The garage found the pulley was faulty but also that the alternator bearings were shot, so replaced the whole thing (and serpentine belt too). Now sweet as a nut. Also, now much more economical: average 67mpg on first drive after all had been reset by power being disconnected. That same journey would have shown 52 or less previously. Ever since I've had this car (preregistration but not driven by anyone other than me since new) it never has given more than 60mpg average (and that on a very gentle 100 mile trip to Norfolk) and the long term average has hovered around 54. its predecessor always managed mid 60s or better. I'd put the difference down to the new one being Euro 6, but maybe it's always been 'dragging an anchor' with a stiff alternator?

As promised, an update.
The garage found the pulley was faulty but also that the alternator bearings were shot, so replaced the whole thing (and serpentine belt too). Now sweet as a nut. Also, now much more economical: average 67mpg on first drive after all had been reset by power being disconnected. That same journey would have shown 52 or less previously. Ever since I've had this car (preregistration but not driven by anyone other than me since new) it never has given more than 60mpg average (and that on a very gentle 100 mile trip to Norfolk) and the long term average has hovered around 54. its predecessor always managed mid 60s or better. I'd put the difference down to the new one being Euro 6, but maybe it's always been 'dragging an anchor' with a stiff alternator?

Hi thanks for your post. I'm trying to diagnose a whirring noise coming from my 2wd 2012+ Panda... I don't know if this has the freewheel clutch on the alternator, I'll try to get in there to see if it has the plastic cap you mentioned... thanks for the info anyway.

I also get some poor MPG (Euro 5 admittedly) and wonder if I'm dragging a reluctant alternator too, I've had no electrical gremlins yet. The whirring I get sort of 'turns on and off' often activating at high revs and mostly goes away again by itself when returning to low revs, though it has at times 'come on' when just idling - perhaps atmospheric changes affecting it. I have no idea yet if it is bearings, just the belt, or the freewheel pulley issue. I'm tempted to just stick a new alternator on there but have seen how hard it is to get them out - having to raise the engine off of its mounts to get it through the gap, so am not overly enthused at the idea...

My current plan is to start by swapping the belt and tensioner... hopefully get my hands on the alternator bearing while the belt is off to see how it feels turning it manually... Anyone have any clever ideas?

I paid a local mechanic to change mine - it didn’t seem to take very long to do, which suggests they managed to get it free without raising the engine or removing a driveshaft. But, mine’s a 4x4 so might just have more wriggle room?

Oh, and I was wrong about my mpg, which soon settled back to my normal mid 50s

Last edited:
My current plan is to start by swapping the belt and tensioner... hopefully get my hands on the alternator bearing while the belt is off to see how it feels turning it manually... Anyone have any clever ideas?
Try and confirm when noisy by using a stethoscope/long screwdriver to locate where noise is from, also if suspect alternator turn on load, headlights/fan etc. to see if it changes noise. Spinning by hand may not show it.
Beware of moving parts!!!;)

Thanks Bugsy I'm very hesitant to stick my head in there with a long screwdriver... currently I can only reproduce the noise by taking the engine above 4000-4500 rpm... so I might be making louder noises than the engine at that stage. I think it has to be a bearing that is screaming at those revs... I have a freewheel pulley for the alternator on the way and a new belt, I haven't looked up close yet but am going to see if I can swap the pulley without removing the alternator.

Do you guys happen to know if the alternator has another set of bearings beyond the pulley, or if swapping this out equals replacing all of its bearings?

Also, is the alternator the physically lowest item in the serpentine belt system? If so that would explain why it has suddenly gone bad... I've taken the Panda through some floodwaters recently with all the rain, so likely caused a bit of new rust.

Thanks Bugsy I'm very hesitant to stick my head in there with a long screwdriver... currently I can only reproduce the noise by taking the engine above 4000-4500 rpm... so I might be making louder noises than the engine at that stage. I think it has to be a bearing that is screaming at those revs... I have a freewheel pulley for the alternator on the way and a new belt, I haven't looked up close yet but am going to see if I can swap the pulley without removing the alternator.

Do you guys happen to know if the alternator has another set of bearings beyond the pulley, or if swapping this out equals replacing all of its bearings?

Also, is the alternator the physically lowest item in the serpentine belt system? If so that would explain why it has suddenly gone bad... I've taken the Panda through some floodwaters recently with all the rain, so likely caused a bit of new rust.
I was told that pulley can’t be removed with the alternator in situ

There are two more sets of bearings - one at each end of the alternator casing (noting that the pulley sits outside these).

The alternator is not the lowest point - the bottom pulley on the engine, and the aircon compressor (at least, on my diesel) are lower. But is is a fully ‘open’ unit with ventilation all round. Clean water is probably ok, but anything with silt/sand in it isn’t going to do those bearings any good. Also water can be (less easily) drawn into the gearbox (through the breather vent on the top, which potentially can suck water in as the gearbox is rapidly cooled by being immersed), 4x4 transfer unit (same route), etc.

And this all confirms that, even in 4x4 form, the Panda (and most other vehicles) is far from flood-proof, with a safe water depth of no more than around 6 inches for anything more than a brief dunking. I’m wondering if my glow plug relay (that sits below the battery but above the gearbox, and subject of a different thread here) has been affected by my puddle-hopping journeys.

Even the trusty (up to 2015) LandRover Defender is only ‘safe’ (without ‘wading modification’) up to its door sills (admittedly rather higher up than those of the Panda!)

Last edited:
A safer way of listening to noises can be a length of rubber tube.
I have had customers car with noisy aircon clutch /pulley, not a Fiat but she did regularly drive through flooded lanes to her horses.

Back