Forum Speed - Ideas

Currently reading:
Forum Speed - Ideas

Ben,

Have YOU any ideas at all why it is so sluggish?

My comments: There are a lot of images linked to members' ISPs so we are dependent on their performance; any image takes time to load!

I've an idea which I'll try first.

Okay, I tried it: disabled images on IE6 and it certainly is quicker, but not THAT much quicker. Sorry, it was worth a try though.

Mind you I'm on ntl dialup at 33.6k so what do I know? ;)

Steve.

yeah, i think its the server. but without paying to move elsewhere there no way to confirm. i have emailed some places to ask for a trial tho... also each page size is quite big, so perhaps dropping or merging sections would help...

dont want to drop tho if ppl think we should keep...

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights
black/clear side repeaters
rear lights tint sprayed black
full midnight window tint (front/back/sunstrip)

Yup, i reckon its the host server of your forum too Ben. I run 4 forums on my oneandone account and none of em have any speed problems. (If you do decide to move and it's to oneandone let me know and we can share £40 as an introduction bonus...)

Have you looked at any other forum software other than Snitz?
How about the database, is it MySQL?
Are you on windows 2000 servers?
Is the host putting a limit on your bandwidth at certain times of day?

Steve Anderson
Punto 1.7D/Uno 1000 Fire

rite, well the forum is snitz and the reason i use it is cause i can (and have) rewrite it how i want, although phpboard would have been the same.

the problem is the bandwidth speed, the page is produced in just under 1 second (max 3), just takes ages to send here.
now the problem.... this forum uses sql server, meaning i cannot just move it anywhere due to the massive costs (i cant find an sql license in uk for under £250...) otherwise all would be simple. oneandone would be the £19.99 a month (professional pack) with erm, first 3 months free... so still quite a bit..

i could convert it back to access, but its not so good for multiple ppl at once, although perhaps i shouldn't worry so much about that?!?!?! for now at least.... just a bit of hassle trying to convert it all back! ;)

thoughts.....?

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights

well good(?!?) news, i have found another very very fast host who seems to have a very good deal for snitz forums, will be emailing him later for a test space so we can test it all, but it should be about only $80 :)

he's showed me a sample forum already and boy is it fast!

hurrah!

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights

i would give a £5 a year np

and merging like forums does make sense

but tbh in the main i don't find the forum that slow

occasionally it can get stuck - but it comes back in a couple of secs.

well yeah, now its moved i think this topic is obsolete?

I'm against merging as much as possible cause it makes things a bit more cumbersome... but this cinq sei thing, grrrr, i dunno, it seems a good idea... but then if they are different... bugger!

Marea/Bravo i figured no cause the engines are completely different?

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
apex 40mm lower springs
apex sports shock's
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights

i think i came along after the move - prolly why i never found any problems - with regard to the sei cinq issue - i think you should go for it - mainly coz you could call it Ciquecento/Seicento - and it would then be higher up the list - saves me scrolling down all the time :D

SEI-POWER

Your wish is my command (tho not without a bit of heartache... SORRRRRRRRRRRRYYYY!)
(At least it was as the forum is getting popular, not during when a lot more would have been lost ;))

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
apex 40mm lower springs
apex sports shock's
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights

Right. First a disclaimer: I don't wish to upset, slag off, or otherwise hurt any member of this list. The example I'm giving is just that. An example.

Okay Donz. The complete topic showing your pictures of your Seicento and that looverly Pontiac was saved on to my hard disk and then the whole shebang loaded into MS FrontPage XP. There is a little message telling you how long it should take to load at various bit rates. The obvious one, 56k, gives a value of 732 seconds, i.e. 12.2 minutes. On my 33.6k modem the value goes up to 1100 seconds, i.e. 18.3 minutes. So this is completely impossible for me in the normal way, at home. Okay, I should go broadband you say, but NTL broadband is still in the tin cans and string age ;) and is probably worse than dial-up, at least in the Nottingham area.

You see the dilemma. Sorry Donz, I didn't mean to hurt you and I love your pictures (now in a screen saver) but I can only see them at work or at college ...

The upshot of all this is that the bigger the picture, the longer it takes to load...

This is one of the reasons why I no longer post a picture of my little Panda in my sig ...

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

Hmmm... Thing is though, the text and stuff should load before the pictures, so you should be able to read what we are talking about, even if you can't see it :)

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
apex 40mm lower springs
apex sports shock's
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights

doesn't allways work - my post is quite long and constantly updating as you try to scroll down, it could make it difficult for slower connections.

so i have created a poll on this matter

go have a looksie

SEI-POWER

No hard feelings, I hope ... ?

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

Back