General For how long have you continuously owned a Fiat 500

Currently reading:
General For how long have you continuously owned a Fiat 500

Early next year I will have owned my car for ten years, albeit it required a lot of work and was in storage for the first six of them!
I wondered on average, how long everyone else has been in the ownership of at least one Fiat 500 of any age or in any condition?

We bought Paolo 6 years ago. Next week Kerry takes delivery of her brand new Fiat 500 Collezione convertable which will be the third one she has owned. She started off with a Fiat Cincequento. So a fair few years but different models and ages

20 years with the Giardiniera. Summer use only. 75.000 Km. It's a love/hate thing. The novelty wore off long ago, but every spring the first ride is magic and I'm sold for another year. Then it throws a fickle fit and I hate it. Then it's cheap to fix and that's endearing. I dunno. It's Italian.

I hadn't really thought about it, but on looking back, I have probably owned 500s for something approaching 12 years. I started, during my apprenticeship, by stripping 2 500A Topolinos and building them into 1 car, then a "suicide door" 500 at the end of my apprenticeship and for a bit of time after my apprenticeship finished, my dark blue 500D (JJJ 43D) for about 3 years, another 500D when we lived in Edinburgh for about a year (swapped it for my MG Midget which was getting more than a bit long in the tooth) and finally, my current car which I have owned for just over 3-1/2 years.

I think I am about 9 years....
Was looking for something small and fun...
Remembered an old friends GF had a 500 when we were at Uni....
started looking, then looking for an Abarth (original)
Heard stories that most were fake....
then remembered an old new show "Nationwide" and it feathered a Fiat 500 with no doors and wicker seats..... Searching I found one in the UK....
Brought it... made contact with some Italian guys who simply said.. "It's a fake" without seeing it... Then they put me in contact with a guy they knew who had one in the UK... I then said "ohh I brought it of him"...
that's where teh story begins....

Mine is approximately 25-26 years with the same car, so not quite up to Joe’s history. I can date it back it’s history to 1983 because I found the guy I bought it off a few years back and he gave me his history of his ownership via email, as Peter is aware.

Here is the email he sent me!

Hello Tonyh

I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that "Luigi" is still with us. I have often wondered what became of him as he was my first car.

I bought him in late 1983, I think, for the princely sum of £16, from the brother of a school friend of mine. He hadn't had the car long - he had bought it from a teacher friend of his mothers.

Conditionwise at that time, the 500 wasn't bad. The paint was very faded, it had gone a little "crispy" in the usual 500 places (bottom of the front wings, and back of the rear wings. I had those repaired and painted, and set about the rest of the bodywork with the T-cut and polish. It came up a treat. Mechanically the engine was tired - reluctant to start and smoky when it did run.

I seem to remember that I replaced the sunroof, and then I bough another 500 (a 500L) from the mother of another school friend of mine) for £10, which had a good engine and interior, but the body was pretty well shot. My dad and I swapped the engine into the blue 500 (as a 16 year old this was a major achievement for me) and I replaced the rubber mats with the fitted black carpets from the 500L I seem to remember though that I left the original flooring underneath. Thankfully i decided to keep the original red and white seats!!

Once that was done he was a pretty clean and tidy little 500, but I was itching to have something a bit "better" (oh the ignorance of youth!!) to have as my first car to drive on the road. So onto Autotrader he went (in those days it was the Thames Valley Trader) and I was delighted to get £250 for him. I then bought a Lancia Fulvia Coupe ready for my 17th birthday in July 1984.

He was sold to a lad called Scott Moy, who lived on Berry Hill in Taplow in Bucks.. I kept in touch with Scott whilst he had the 500. He didnt actually drive, just wanted a little car to play with. Sadly he didn't really know much about what he was doing, so a couple of years later I bought Luigi back from him, for £50, in a bit of a sorry state. It had lived outside for the entire time Scott had owned it and although still roadworthy (just about) there weren't many MOT's left in it!

So, I set too. I sourced new floorpans, front wings, front panel and a bonnet and had these professionally fitted and the car resprayed at the garage I worked in at the time - Courts Garage in Iver, Bucks. By the time this was done, I would think it was probably 1989 / 90..

After that was done, it really did look a smart car, and for 18 months or so I pottered around in him - probably as a 4th car I would think as I was accumulating Lancias back then too!

The engine gave up the ghost and he was taken off the road whilst a friend and I decided to rebuilt it - not a success as after the rebuilt it never ran as well as it had before!! Needs must then over took the situation, and very regrettably I had to sell him to fund other projects. A sale I have regretted to this day.

I remember that there was a sicker on the dashboard from the original supplying dear - Speedwell Garage, in Twickenham or Thames Ditton, I think.

I do have pictures of him during the rebuild, and afterwards.. Even pictures of him going round the Lancia Motor Club driving tests.. These are hard copy, but if of any interest to you I could scan them and email them to you. Somewhere I also have a copy of the ad from Autotrader! I also have his original owner's handbook.

I would love to see him again someday Whereabouts are you based?

Hope the above has been of some interest - oh and somewhere in the garage, I think I still have his original nuova500 alloy engine lid badge, which was never refitted after the respray! You are very welcome to that (conditional on a viewing!!)

Best wishes

Andy"

Not quite 4 years for me! It has been a grand love hate relationship with two complete engine rebuilds and a gearbox strip and modification - but I love my little special (it's modified in almost every area!)

Ian.

I have had a 500 since before I could drive. Which would be 1982. I have owned I think 6 500s and 3 126s. Currently I have a 500 and Gardinera which I have had for I think 26 years. Now we also have a Seicento and 3 new 500s as our every day cars

4 years for me, I have always loved small cars and my first 2 were minis. I saw "Fiona" sat in a workshop parking lot near my house in Spain. I contacted the owner and bought her for 1000€. She was in remarkably good condition for her 45 years ,just needed a small amount of welding on the floorpan. I did a complete rebuild and she was finished this year. The paperwork was a nightmare as she came without documents but she is a delight to drive and I have a grin from ear to ear as I buzz along .

I sold a Fiat 600D to buy my 500 in June 2012.
I have continuously owned a 1963 Fiat 1500 for over 30 years so know the joy of keeping a classic Fiat on the road.

In the early ‘90s I was rebuilding the 1500 engine and had the fortune to borrow my uncle’s 500F to travel to uni. From then on I had to have one and although it took a while I didn’t give up.

The car has been off the road for two years now but I’m looking forward to driving it again.

We always had at least one 500 in the family ever since I was 3 or 4 yo. Got my first 500 for my 18th birthday and just got another identical one when that got stolen.
15 years of ownership, 30 years of riding in 500's :D

Vehicles and divorce ! When I divorced, my wife's lawyer argued for a big alimony based on the fact that I owned "a FLEET" of "PRESTIGIOUS" collector vehicles (the 500 plus a Guzzi bike). I showed the judge a couple of pictures and she smiled...
I was so riled up, when proceedings were over I went out and almost bankrupted myself by buying a Porsche 928 (the 5.0L V8) in FIRE ENGINE RED.
How childish ! The 928 is long gone, 500 still part of the fleet.;)

Back