Technical Folding door mirror just fell apart in my hands

Currently reading:
Technical Folding door mirror just fell apart in my hands

Exactly same thing happened to me.
My hubby was about to drive and unfold the wing mirror. The next scene was him holding the wing mirror in his hands! I have blamed him that he was too strong but he said he was only unfolding the mirror. Nothing came off from the mirror and it did not look like it was broken.

We were on our way to Cotswold for Easter so I brought box tapes. The wing mirror was okay with the tapes for 2 hour-long drive in motorways.

I have called the Fiat Maryleone but the engineer said he did not see such case before. He said he saw the broken ones due to external forces though. I have purchased the car January 2012 so I guessed the warranty has been expired but I haven't checked my documents. I have called them today (Monday) but the earliest day for repair was the next Tuesday.

Exactly same thing happened to me.
My hubby was about to drive and unfold the wing mirror. The next scene was him holding the wing mirror in his hands! I have blamed him that he was too strong but he said he was only unfolding the mirror. Nothing came off from the mirror and it did not look like it was broken.

We were on our way to Cotswold for Easter so I brought box tapes. The wing mirror was okay with the tapes for 2 hour-long drive in motorways.

I have called the Fiat Maryleone but the engineer said he did not see such case before. He said he saw the broken ones due to external forces though. I have purchased the car January 2012 so I guessed the warranty has been expired but I haven't checked my documents. I have called them today (Monday) but the earliest day for repair was the next Tuesday.

Hi & welcome to the forum :wave:.

Condolences on the broken door mirror, but at least you found a fix that enabled you to continue your holiday. Your hubby wasn't using too much force - the mirror is badly designed and I strongly suspect others will soon be forming a queue behind you with exactly the same fault.

If your car is under 2yrs old & there's no sign of any external damage to the mirror or housing, I'd suggest you push very hard to get the mirror replaced under warranty.

The good news is that a replacement mirror can be fitted in less than 10 minutes, working from outside the car, so you shouldn't have to contend with grubby mechanical urchins crawling all over your nice clean interior.

Do come back and let us know how you get on when you take it back to FIAT.

Last edited:
the only thing about getting it replaced is that it'll just break again.

True, but at least it'll last longer than if they just reassemble the broken one.

It'd be useful to know if the aftermarket mirrors use the same method for clamping the two parts of the housing together.

Last edited:
To be fair it's the job of a service receptionist to deny that what's happened to your car has happened before. If they said "Oh we see it all the time" then everyone would expect it to be done under warranty.....

To be fair it's the job of a service receptionist to deny that what's happened to your car has happened before. If they said "Oh we see it all the time" then everyone would expect it to be done under warranty.....

Or as the Stoneacre service receptionist hairdo said to me when my leather steering wheel bubbled... Oh we see it all the time, we just don't give a s**t. I'm paraphrasing of course, but that's what she meant.

Or as the Stoneacre service receptionist hairdo said to me when my leather steering wheel bubbled... Oh we see it all the time, we just don't give a s**t. I'm paraphrasing of course, but that's what she meant.
:D

When I was in customer service, my wording would be "It's something I've seen on a few of them, but unfortunately <insert manufacturer> don't cover it under warranty, but I would reccomend calling them up and seeing if they're willing to do anything about it"

Intriguingly that ebay ad contains the words "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Part Number 735452183 which supercedes to 735481660[/FONT]".

I'm now wondering if this is another 500 part which FIAT have quietly redesigned?

The drivers side mirror assembly on my car is OEM part 735481649 - I wonder if this has also been superseded?

Anyone with access to the current ePER care to check this out?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
When I was in customer service, my wording would be "It's something I've seen on a few of them, but unfortunately <insert manufacturer> don't cover it under warranty, but I would reccomend calling them up and seeing if they're willing to do anything about it"

If only you worked for Stoneacre Fiat. IF ONLY!!!!

Although Maxi's version is much more polite, the meaning is sadly still the same.

Attachments

• No.jpg
    No.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 30
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Take the car somewhere else. Seriously!

I took the car there because there are a few engineers in the garage.

Well, this is my update.

So I took the car to Fiat Marylebone in Battersea this morning. The receptionist told me that if it was broken by internal mechanism, not by external forces, Fiat would cover the costs.

Around 4pm he called me back and try to explain the situation in a very apologetic manner. Because he was too apologetic, I started to suspect whether the cost would be not be covered or so..

When I asked what was the problem, he said "the Swing Pin mechanism' in the mirror has been broken and we have to get entirely new unit'

When I asked how much does it cost, he answered 'because it was a defect from manufacturer, there is no additional cost for you'.

When I asked him then why he was that apologetic, then he said it was because of the inconvenience, which I had experienced AND delays as they have to wait until tomorrow to get the mirror unit.

I hope it will get sorted by tomorrow and keep you updated :)

Back