Technical Folding door mirror just fell apart in my hands

Currently reading:
Technical Folding door mirror just fell apart in my hands

As I've said before, FIAT don't have exclusivity on bad design, at least it's 'just' the mirror housing

Well, apart from the mirror housing, the breathers, the top mounts, the droplinks, the hatch wiring, the door handle hinges, the shocks, the bottom balljoints, the exhaust, the sunroof blind, the S/S system, the wiper blades & the TA coil packs, what have the 500 designers ever got wrong?

But joking apart, we should keep this in perspective. The 500 is a reasonably cheap car & if you keep one for more than a couple of years, you'll likely need to repair or replace a few bits. Nothing massively serious or expensive (though if you insist on getting everything done by a franchised dealer, it won't be that cheap), & if you follow the hints & tips on this forum, it's all entirely manageable, whether you go the DIY route or find a decent independent garage.

Last edited:
I reckon there would be room for a high torque servo in there to make these auto fold.. has anybody heard of this being tried on a 500?

Remember the metal bush is fixed; the spring & upper housing rotate around it. If the bush isn't properly locked, you could end up with mirrors that might self destruct at the push of a button :eek:.

But if you were prepared to do some serious re-engineering, I reckon it could be done. Autofold with ignition off would be a feature I'd actually find useful, if it was durable & worked reliably.

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud at the moment, perhaps I'll keep my eye out for a broken mirror to play with. It probably needs one of your fixes as well.....

Just thinking aloud at the moment...

...I'm thinking about machining up a new bush, dispensing with the spring & controlling the positioning with a servo (which would also release some space for the motor).

I'll keep my eye out for a broken mirror to play with

Sadly I suspect there will soon be a plentiful supply...

Last edited:
You would probably need some kind of servo saving spring arrangement for 'white van ' moments....

I was just thinking exactly that!

The existing arrangement needs quite a firm twist, and careful handling... I suspect if you had a 'white van' moment it'd probably break before it folded in :mad:.

Nah, it's just mechanically unsympathetic oafs like yourself that break their mirrors :p

Hmmmm, next time I open the drivers door, the hinge is going to break isn't it..........

Nah, after saying that, you'll be pulling the handle more gently than a feather lands on a pillow.

Then you'll get in, slam the door shut & your exhaust will fall off... :p

Last edited:
UFI, why do you want folding mirrors? :p Side roads in Perth are like motorways here ;)

I fold my off side mirror in on my cars so I can get them into the garage, often, they stay folded when drive since I have to reverse out, get out, and unfold. Too much of a hassle. Only the Skyline does it electrically. I'm thinking of maybe even folding the off side mirror automatically at speed to cut wind noise/drag, that unfolds when the indicator is switched on. Really, I just want a project to use an Ardunio on.

As for mirrors and handles, I discovered today that UFI has badly cracked handles on both sides. The tops look OK, and I spotted the hairlines on delivery, but thought they were mold lines. Viewed from underneath, a spider web of cracks becomes apparent.

Last edited:
I fold my off side mirror in on my cars so I can get them into the garage, often, they stay folded when drive since I have to reverse out, get out, and unfold. Too much of a hassle. Only the Skyline does it electrically. I'm thinking of maybe even folding the off side mirror automatically at speed to cut wind noise/drag, that unfolds when the indicator is switched on. Really, I just want a project to use an Ardunio on.

You sound like me... I have an arduino in the shed left over from a previous car and would use it to fold them when the doors are locked or when I press a button (used to do that with my old Japanese Mpv in tight situations!) and the pwm output means its easy to connect servos ;)

Reactions: UFI
I just want a project to use an Ardunio on.

How about a remote steering wheel & foot movement sensors connected via bluetooth?

I'd love to drive solo from the rear seat & watch the expression on the other motorist's faces :D.

Attachments

• BT steering.jpg
    BT steering.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 30
I might do an injector off coast and/ or stop start circuit for my Jeep, at 14MPG city, it could use the help.

As for mirrors and handles, I discovered today that UFI has badly cracked handles on both sides. The tops look OK, and I spotted the hairlines on delivery, but thought they were mold lines. Viewed from underneath, a spider web of cracks becomes apparent.

interesting, I'll have to take a look at my handles.

Back