Technical Flat Spot

Currently reading:
Technical Flat Spot

Good news - the flat spot has been fixed!!! :D

The dealers knew about the EGR problem already without me having to say anything, but after some further investigation (and thankfully having been able to feel it for themselves on a test drive :worship:) they did this:

"Basically we have fitted a restriction to the egr system, which reduces the cross sectional area available for the exhaust gas to pass through into the inlet manifold. This restriction acts like a venturi and speeds up the gas passing through it, so making it mix better with the inlet air and also clean the egr valve itself. It does not reduce the exhaust gas passing through it as we have checked this using airflow meter readings. This is available for most egr systems on Fiat 1.9 and 2.4 diesel engines.
Service news 10.21.08 includes a test procedure to follow before fitting the restriction."

Hope this makes sense to anyone with a similar problem - and that it helps you too! It's another niggly problem with the car fixed :slayer:

Alright I have a service coming up next couple of weeks and will try for the fourth time to get this flat spot issue sorted.

new2fiat thankyou for your post. I will quote
Service news 10.21.08 includes a test procedure to follow before fitting the restriction
when I speak to the service manager. Just a question however. How is it going for you now? any sign of the flat spot returning?

Yep, it's still all 100% fine now - absolutely no sign of the flat spot, even when using supermarket diesel (which always made it worse, for some reason).
Good luck!

I fitted this to my Stilo and its made a world of difference, idle speed is smoother, and quieter, and pick up from low revs is definately smoother. I didnt have a flat spot anywhere near as bas as new2fiat but its definately improved my vehicle.

I was just about to post about this but seen this post.
I have the same problem mines a April 06 and stutters when cold, also has great trouble starting sometimes.

Mine has had a EGR valve replaced about 3 months ago due to total loss of power.
I can go armed with this when i go to the dealers next week. Cheers (y)

mine also use to have problems when starting and then initially replace the lambda/o2 sensor and that didnt really cure the matter so they replaced the inlet manifold and it seems much better now (y) i am also getting flat spot, not quite that bad only every now and then! Will have to take the car in to getthe EGR looked at.

mine also use to have problems when starting and then initially replace the lambda/o2 sensor and that didnt really cure the matter so they replaced the inlet manifold and it seems much better now (y) i am also getting flat spot, not quite that bad only every now and then! Will have to take the car in to getthe EGR looked at.

Before or after 24th? ;)

I had a new egr valve on mine a while back, there was no performance issue just soot being sprayed from it. Also check maf sensor and exhaust leaks if you are experiencing a loss of power (especially on and aroudn the turbo itself). Could be an early warning sign of your turbo being on its way out.

I had a new egr valve on mine a while back, there was no performance issue just soot being sprayed from it. Also check maf sensor and exhaust leaks if you are experiencing a loss of power (especially on and aroudn the turbo itself). Could be an early warning sign of your turbo being on its way out.

How's your turbo bearing up Kris?

How's your turbo bearing up Kris?

Its lasting out at the moment, I gave it a check over last night and seems to be putting out nice amounts of oil and smoke. I also spent last night putting bits back to standard ready to go into fiat to get it replaced.

Its definitely on its way out but I think its lasted well for a faulty unit, the cars done nearly 35k.

I've been driving it very steady for the last month or so because I don't want the dreaded white smoke and collapsed bearings before it goes back into the garage :p

Its lasting out at the moment, I gave it a check over last night and seems to be putting out nice amounts of oil and smoke. I also spent last night putting bits back to standard ready to go into fiat to get it replaced.

Its definitely on its way out but I think its lasted well for a faulty unit, the cars done nearly 35k.

I've been driving it very steady for the last month or so because I don't want the dreaded white smoke and collapsed bearings before it goes back into the garage :p

Puntokris comments required below :D

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-technical/157328-question-gp-owners-who-re-mapped.html

Booked mine in for its second year (major) service, i mentioned the flat spot (aswell as many other things i would like sorting) to the service clerk and she seemed to know what i meant, so hopefully it will be sorted. Its not a mojor problem, only happens once a week for me, at first i shat myself because i thought it was my clutch slipping, that wouldn't have been particuarly fun.

Last edited:
Good news - the flat spot has been fixed!!! :D

The dealers knew about the EGR problem already without me having to say anything, but after some further investigation (and thankfully having been able to feel it for themselves on a test drive :worship:) they did this:

"Basically we have fitted a restriction to the egr system, which reduces the cross sectional area available for the exhaust gas to pass through into the inlet manifold. This restriction acts like a venturi and speeds up the gas passing through it, so making it mix better with the inlet air and also clean the egr valve itself. It does not reduce the exhaust gas passing through it as we have checked this using airflow meter readings. This is available for most egr systems on Fiat 1.9 and 2.4 diesel engines.
Service news 10.21.08 includes a test procedure to follow before fitting the restriction."

Hope this makes sense to anyone with a similar problem - and that it helps you too! It's another niggly problem with the car fixed :slayer:

can you explain exactly what you had done, i cant seem to understand?

can you explain exactly what you had done, i cant seem to understand?

Sorry, I wish I could, but I don't understand the technical details either. This is what the Fiat technician told me, so hopefully if you take it to a dealer, they will be able to understand.

I have the ‘flat spot’ problem with my car, now after reading the threads on here I realise that the problem could be because of the EGR valve getting crap on it. If I was to take my car into fiat and get them to do it under 3rd year warranty and clean the EGR valve and put a restrictor gasket on it, would they be prepared to do this or would they act ‘clueless’ towards the fault.

Also my car is mapped so would this effect my remap on the car and will fiat use the map as an excuse to not to the EGR valve under warranty?

Back