Technical Fixing My 1.4 Bravo Engine Misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Fixing My 1.4 Bravo Engine Misfire

Cheers Arc. :D
While im waiting for this gasket from Fiat ive done a couple of small bits.

For £3.75 I bought a brush kit for my starter motor and replaced the almost totaly warn brush. The other two where ok.

I painted the metal pipes on my inlet manifold as they had started to rust and rust is not my friend.

Oh good, just when you mentioned mole grips I had the image of the clamping force destroying the guides. How are you getting on, still waiting for gaskets?

So haynes says clutch preasure plate bolts 25mn. They are M6 Ive just snaped one :mad: :bang: luckly I have a full set of spares and I managed to get the bolt head out.

I think it should be 9nm acording to fiat service manual and my guess anyone agree?

Pictures later block almost done. :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
My dad got the end of the bolt out easily by hammering it with a centre punch in the undo direction. I would have just cried.

Im convinced Haynes is wrong at 25nm I think it should be 9nm.

Today I assembled the new bottom end. Hopefully putting it in tomorrow will be un-eventful.

I changed oil pump gasket, crank oil seal. Fitted sump, knock sensor, crank sensor, oil pressure sensor, flywheel, flywheel back plate, new Valeo clutch, gearbox dowels.

Tested the oil preasure switch ground and checked the clearence and resistance of the crank sensor.

Pictures;

Last edited:
the understary keeps the engine a hell of allot cleaner i see cars every day with and without

and yes they are ridiculouse expensive

but codging your very own is always an option and a neat way to hide sub frame stifening lol

looking grat adrian i wish i could take mine out and paint it
but i havnt got the time

You could skim the whole bottom, to get a nice even airflow and then get a diffuser at the back :yum: get some downforce ... yeah scratch that, i got carried away, but making some from a sheet of ali shouldnt be too hard or heavy should it?

Forgot to mention I made a small mistake when I took the old engine out. I forgot to tie back the clutch release arm. This caused the slave cylinder arm to drop out.

To refit I hooked up the slave cylinder as you would when bleeding it. Released the bleed screw and refitted it.

Its been raining since I put the block in so no progress yet. (n)

The car is ready for the head. All ancillaries and bumf are on, Just need head, manifolds, belts/timing and fluids. I need to read up on cambelt fitting actually. Re-fitting the valve retaining collets was fiddly.

I had a problem with the middle bolt on my starter motor it felt like it was about to thread as I tightened it. So I stopped took it out and had a look. The bolt seemed fine, tried again and it just didn’t feel right. So I took it out again put thread lock on. Couldnt see any cracks on the bellhousing thread in the bellhousing must be bad.

I took a pic of the car, you can see my modified badge. Then forgot to take a picture of the engine bay, I will Wednesday.

Im out tomorrow but by Wednesday afternoon my car should be running again :woot:

I also painted the gearbox endcase thing in Hamerite black, and any rust spots in the passenger arch.

just started raining heavy :mad: hopefully it goes by the end of lunch.

This morning assembled the head and inlet manifold because space is tight.

I have left exactly;

crank timing tool
fit head
belts/tensioner/cam sprocket
head oil rail
rocker cover
water rail
exhaust manifold
coil pack
radiator
plug in a dozen or so electrical connectors
Battery and turn power to MAR to check for ECU errors
Fluids
Compresion test
try start
cry

Ive decided to fit an oil catch tank between my rocker cover and inlet. Ill need 2x reducers for the piping from 20mm ID to 15mm or 8mm. If anyone knows good shops or websites for reducers and piping let me know.

Last edited:
I am officially the luckiest idiot in the world after today’s mistake. While putting my head bolts in I dropped one of the head bolt washers down an oil way. First I thought this is the end, and if a large vehicle was passing by at that moment I would have jumped under it. Then I thought id have to strip the car to get it out of the sump. Then I thought its not so bad it might rattle in the sump, ill buy another washer no biggie.

Still panicking I ran in the shed and got the bar with a magnet on. Lucky me I plucked it out of the oil way.

Next challange will be tightening camsprocket I think

Its just started raining again so Ive had to stop. Not much crossed of my list.

Head bolts 90deg and 90deg turns still left to do :eek:
belts/tensioner/cam sprocket
head oil rail
rocker cover
Thermostat
water rail
exhaust manifold
coil pack
radiator
plug in half a dozen or so electrical connectors
Battery and turn power to MAR to check for ECU errors
Fluids