Technical Fitting new clutch, anything else recommended for changing?

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting new clutch, anything else recommended for changing?

So I'm about to fit a new Valeo clutch kit to my Brava 1.6. Just wondered if anyone can recommend any other replacements while doing this job? The offside driveshaft looks a bit leaky around the diff cup, so I have a new genuine one for that. Is it also worth replacing the rear crankshaft oil seal? (no engine oil leaks at the moment).

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would be inclined to leave the rear crank seal alone unless it was visibly leaking.. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Incidentally what's the mileage on the engine?

I would be inclined to leave the rear crank seal alone unless it was visibly leaking.. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Incidentally what's the mileage on the engine?

Hi current mileage is 154,000. This will be the third clutch, the second one was fitted at 72,000 miles so this one has lasted a bit longer! No engine oil leaks so as you say I'll probably leave the rear crankshaft oil seal. I was only thinking of doing it as the engine has covered quite a high mileage.

I'm hoping the new diff cup will sort the leak from the offside driveshaft. Is there anything else I need to look out for when removing the driveshaft? Don't want to make it any worse!

154k:) it shows you how tough these engines really are! Glad to hear your persevering with it, other people might just scrap the car at that stage...:confused: I don't think there is anything else out of the ordinary when removing and replacing the driveshaft.

154k:) it shows you how tough these engines really are! Glad to hear your persevering with it, other people might just scrap the car at that stage...:confused: I don't think there is anything else out of the ordinary when removing and replacing the driveshaft.

ok thanks. Everything else works on this Brava so we've decided to keep it. I agree the 1.6 is a strong unit, and I think it's fun to drive! What we have done is change the oil/filter and air filter every 6,000 miles from new - I think this has helped to keep the engine in good condition!

nothing to add really,
I always wash-out the bell housing of cruddy / oily stuff,

the crank seal = if it's still oil tight leave it.. , as there no guarantee the replacement will last any better - often the "new part" will be 10 years old and beginning to perish,
charlie

nothing to add really,
I always wash-out the bell housing of cruddy / oily stuff,

the crank seal = if it's still oil tight leave it.. , as there no guarantee the replacement will last any better - often the "new part" will be 10 years old and beginning to perish,
charlie

Yes there's no sign of leaking from the outside, so I'll probable leave it.

On the driveshafts I think I need to remove the offside driveshaft when changing - the cup is leaking anyway so I have a genuine replacement for that. Do I need to remove the nearside driveshaft as well? This is looking dry, so would be prefer to leave it undisturbed if I can. Any advice greatly appreciated(y)

On the driveshafts I think I need to remove the offside driveshaft when changing - the cup is leaking anyway so I have a genuine replacement for that. Do I need to remove the nearside driveshaft as well? This is looking dry, so would be prefer to leave it undisturbed if I can. Any advice greatly appreciated(y)

conventionally I believe you would - however - you could probably unclamp the Nearside Hub mounts, and swing that out of the way..along with the 'box:idea:

Charlie

Thanks everyone for advice offered on changing the clutch on my Brava 1.6(y)

So the clutch is changed, glad I did it as the friction material was getting very low. So new clutch kit, new clutch slave cylinder and brake fluid bled, so good pressure on the clutch pedal, new offside driveshaft boot as it was leaking, and fresh gearbox oil.

Problem is, one of the issues still remains. All forward gears work fine, but reverse is reluctant to select at all. If you work through the gears to begin with, it will engage, but only reluctantly.

Could it be the gear linkage for reverse? I've taken a look at it and it does look a bit dirty, but I haven't removed the large rubber boot that covers the linkage that sits over the gearbox. I was wondering if there's a bush in there that needs either lubricating or replacing?

Any advice appreciated, as it really is annoying to have this problem still after all the work done!

Just had a thought, I wonder if the master slave cylinder is on the way out? Forward gears work ok, but not really as smooth as they should be. There's no synchro on reverse, so no help here if there's problems elsewhere in the system.

Any thoughts anyone?

Back