Technical Fitting DIY Air Con

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting DIY Air Con

DaveG307

Has anyone ever attempted to fit air con to a Stilo, that didn't come with air con?!
I have a 53 Stilo Multiwagon 1.9JTD Active. I bought the Active before I realised there was such a thing as the Active Air Con! I love the Stilo, but really miss having Aircon. Is it possible to get a used air con unit from another stilo and retro-fit it. If so, how much of a nightmare is it to fit?

Has anyone ever attempted to fit air con to a Stilo, that didn't come with air con?!
I have a 53 Stilo Multiwagon 1.9JTD Active. I bought the Active before I realised there was such a thing as the Active Air Con! I love the Stilo, but really miss having Aircon. Is it possible to get a used air con unit from another stilo and retro-fit it. If so, how much of a nightmare is it to fit?

Can be done but cost & effort wise really not worthwhile IMO, sell up and buy one with Air-con that works! (y)

I suppose its all down to how handy you are with a spanner! It is still possible to source generic AC kits off the internet, but they are steap! You'd be looking at about £1000 to get one fitted by a pro. The work is tricky because you need a power take off from the engine to run the compressor, then you need to take the dash to bits to fit the evaporator, then you need to get it all plumbed in. The problem is getting it all really pressure tight. OE AC uses lots of shaped pipework. Aftermarket uses mainly flexible rubber pipes.

I'd echo other posters, if it is important to you, sell up and buy one with AC fitted. However, check carefully that it works. They are prone to failure and leakage, and they cost lots of fix!

Back