Technical Fitting a rev counter

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting a rev counter

Jack c

Hi i have a mk1 55s and it has a clock and id rather have a rev counter there likt the other models do. would it be possible to fit the clocks from a car with a rev counter? would it be a simple plug in job or is the wiring different?
thanks

www.puntoforum.com

front page, down and on the left, its a good how to.

Only thing I would say is, to keep your existing milage, just unclip hood from new clocks and old one, unscrew the speedo bit, take the two little wires out from their connector and swap over. Watch all the warning light bits don't fall out!!

Oh, the job would have taken me about 10mins but I couldn't find the hole in the bulkhead, I was pushing and bending the wrong plate. the correct plate that goes thru is easier to get at from engine side, its under a mass of brake lines (metal ones) and you pull a bit of the sound insulation out and then the plate comes off with two 10mm bolts (you will soon find that all you need to totally dismantle your punto is a 10 and 13mm socket!!). Drill a hole thru it, push all the cable thru, bolt back into place, and when you have fitted speedo etc and got hte cable length right, smear some silicon aroudn the wire to prevent water ingress into cabin (typical cause of steamy windows).

Also when at scrappies cut a bit of the wiring out so you have one of the plugs to get a connector from, they are a bit fiddly to get a good connector with attached bit of wire, but well worth it, makes a very tidy job.(y)

Last edited:
Ohh thats a handy guide. Though, where it syas "locate the ALL blue wire from the ECU [to attach the rev-counter wire to]" what is that blue wire for?
Id like to know as im fitting a rev counter to my fiesta, and i need to know which wire i should tap into to get a rev-reading :D
Cheers!
Scott

letsplayskatch said:
Ohh thats a handy guide. Though, where it syas "locate the ALL blue wire from the ECU [to attach the rev-counter wire to]" what is that blue wire for?
Id like to know as im fitting a rev counter to my fiesta, and i need to know which wire i should tap into to get a rev-reading :D
Cheers!
Scott

Whoa, im sorry but Have you had a look at the top of this website? This is the F-I-A-T F-O-R-U-M

All cars are different in some way therefore i woudlnt recommend a Fiat punto guide for wiring a rev counter into a fiesta :nutter: , so i would go on the following website. Its perfect for any ford fiesta, weather standard or not: http://www.*********.co.uk/mx/

sounds more like he wants it on both cars?

the blue wire is from the crankshaft sensor that feeds to the ECU to tell it at what rotation the engine is, so its the same output that would be used for a rev counter in a higher model, just in a higher model the wire for ecu is taken from that blue wire inside the ecu and has a dedicated wire that leads into back of dash thru a different grommet (one you can't get to unless you remove the dash board, which is not a wise move, not if you rate your sanity).

On a fiesta with an electronic ignition system (ie no point type distriutor) it would be the same idea, but likely the wire is already there, depends on year and model I suppose, I know as a fact that 1989-1997 fiesta 1.3's don't have any feature for a rev counter, they are a very crude engine as it stands.

cheers guys im off to the scrappy on monday then! just a thought but what happens to the temperature gague that comes with the clocks that have a rev counter?will it work still or just sit doing nothing? or is it possible to get clocks with a rev counter and just a tempertaure light?

Last edited:
Back