Technical Fitting a new offside cv joint gaitor

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting a new offside cv joint gaitor

sporting_adz

Has anyone got a guide or could type me a guide to change the cv joint gaitor as mine has split and failed the mot. I'm going to do this at the same time as fitting new discs and pads so kill two birds wid one stone.
cheers

Assuming outer one.

Once you've got the wheel off, remove the top strut pinch bolt, loosen the bottom one, hold the clip open and the shaft should pop out of the joint, as the hub moves out.

New boot on and reassemble.

Cheers

SPD

Tryed this today, managed to remove the top bolt and knock it through, got the bottom one nut off but couldnt move the hub enough to get access. The bolt for the bottom seems to be seized.
Has anyone used the halfords split type cv boots? think I might get one to get me through the MOT and see how long it lasts for.
cheers

Split CV boots are pretty rubbish. If the nut has really seized ( if your're not using a bar at least 18" long you're not trying hard enough) take the bolt out of the bottom balljoint and lever the wishbone down. Long bar required.

I got the nut off but the bolt wouldnt shift when trying to knock it through and with it in place there wasnt enough leverage to get to the shaft.

I got the nut off but the bolt wouldnt shift when trying to knock it through and with it in place there wasnt enough leverage to get to the shaft.

Think the flying clutchman was refering to the bottom ball joint, not the pinch bolt.

The bottom ball joint is another way of doing it.

Last way to do it is to undo the hub nut and take the complete shaft out.

Don't use a split boot.

Cheers

SPD

Back