Technical Fitting 2004 Punto 16 Valve Engine To 8V Mk1 Cabrio

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting 2004 Punto 16 Valve Engine To 8V Mk1 Cabrio

luqluq

Hello,
I'm Luqluq.
I need help from you guys. I'm getting a donor 2004 16V Punto to fit into my 8V Mk1 Cabrio as the CV transmission gearbox gave some sign of deterioration.
Wish that any of you could assist me to match the engine mounting part at the altenator side. It looks like it's a completely different shape. Any suggestion for interchangeable part from other Punto model that I can use or does it need some fabrication works done?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.
Luqluq.

With my conversion to 16v. I used The engine mounts of my Original engine.

8v Mk.1 Cabrio? No, that got to be the 1581 tractor-engine derived from the 128 and Uno - totally different mounts from the 8v and 16v FIRE engines. Mounts from any Punto will do it. You'll be changing the gearbox too? Even though the existing is a FIRE type gearbox, it has different bellhousing which won't fit your new 16v FIRE engine.

Dear Mixter, blu73 and fostertom,
Thanks for the encouraging replies.
My apology as I described incomplete informations in the previous posts. I bought a halfcut Punto 2004 to be a whole donor to my 8V Mk1. I enclosed the pics. Pardon me that are the only pictures that I have for the moment.
It means, stock and barrel, I plan to transfer the whole engine, gearbox, cabling dashboard minus the shell and ABS system.
From your descriptions, the mounting systems are interchangeable, isn't it? Means that I can use the old Mk1 to fit into the 16V? As for the engine mounting, it looks like the height are different for both. I'll check back if the things fit and update the process when things get started.
And now, Ouch! I found a new headache. I labled all the wiring for the Mk1, that's including the night lights, brakes, signal indicators, reverse light, fuel pump, fuel gauge, trunk release, cabrio motor, speakers (from the rear part of the Mk1 to be connected to the 2004) ... and found out that the 2004 wiring color coding are different (I've to ignore some cabling e.g. wipers etc as it wont be used for the Cabrio).
By chance, any of you guys have the wiring diagram for the Punto 2004?
Thanks in advanced for your responses.

Attachments

• punto 2004.jpg
    punto 2004.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 24
  • punto 8V.jpg
    punto 8V.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23
You have to search Google and torrent site's thats what i did. But i also used a part of the 16v harnes. Because the wiring is diverent than the 8v harnes. But u have also the soft top wiring. So be careful with that.

Cheers

Well looks like your mk1 has a FIRE engine and not the old 1.6 afterall - so really is just a matter of swapping mounts from one engine to the other and it will just bolt in. Strange that, we never got cabrio's in the UK with an 8v FIRE we only got the 1.6 8v and 1.2 16v.

Must say you are doing it what seems like the hard way to me but i guess you will end up with correct ecu for the engine, most 16v conversions over here tend to just use the engine loom, ecu, key and codebox from a mk1 1242 16v and leave the body loom well alone. This has the added advantage of the mk1 16v not having fly-by-wire throttle like your car already and only involves a small amount of wiring (at the D4 connector)

Yes, that's very true as you mentioned as I'm from 1/3 side of the globe (Malaysia). The Puntos marketed here in 1996's were 1.2 8V CVT or another option is 1.6 Manual and Cabrios is considered quite rare. And the 16V half cut acquired were brought in from Japan. I just hope that it may become a marriage in heaven.
The 8V engine I believe is a FIRE engine I believe and it's written Lancia on the block.

Spots on! It's exactly as you mentioned. The reason I wanted to change the whole engine is due to the old CVT which is not reliable in the long run. And the cost of the CVT repair here is the same price to acquire the whole half-cut, that's about £500! :bang:

Back