Technical Fitted Eibach Pro kit - top mounting does not look right

Currently reading:
Technical Fitted Eibach Pro kit - top mounting does not look right

So fitted Eibach pro lowering springs to my 695 this weekend and somethings not quite right with how the top hat sits inside the engine bay.
On fitting the springs the runner top mount was orientated correctly with the arrow part pointing backwards as it should, the retaining nut was tightened down as far as it would go with an impact driver. On fitment of the struts the rubber top mount aligned with the witness marks inside the wheel arch.
From above the top hat was attached and also tightened down using an impact driver but too me it doesnt look right as the top had looks like its floating off the suspension mount cut out. it is angled to the rear off the cutout which i believe is correct.
Now because i wasnt paying attention when i first disassembled the shocks i cant tell if i am being paranoid or they are not secured correctly.
The suspension in general does sound a little more clunky than it normally has been prior to the fitment but again is this my paranoia, i cant tell.
Anyone done this job on their own car and can re-assure me or supply pictures as to what it should look like from inside their engine bay?

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_131325_resized_20200726_100648487.jpg
    IMG_20200726_131325_resized_20200726_100648487.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200726_131405_resized_20200726_100648357.jpg
    IMG_20200726_131405_resized_20200726_100648357.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 59
Also fitted new brembo discs and ebc greenstuff pads all round and DNA wheel spacers (16mm rear / 13mm front) very happy with the stance now and not noticed any rubbing yet!
Just need to sort out this issue with the front shocks mounting :rolleyes:

The top hat bump stops are only there to stop the struts falling out when the suspension is unloaded, for example when jacking up that corner of the car. Many modern cars, the 500 included, can have an air gap between the top hat and the inner wing.

Location is provided by the rubber top mounts under the wing; provided they have been correctly fitted (as you say, it's possible to fit them backwards), then all will be well.

For the same reason, you can sometimes feel play in the top mount when the weight of the car is off the relevant roadwheel; again, perfectly normal, and not a reason for MOT failure - this can only be properly checked when the weight of the car is on the wheel.

On my car (a 1.2 lounge) there was a gap on my car between top hat and wing when it was delivered new.

This extract from the MOT testers manual may kerb your paranoia and put your mind at rest.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Cheers mate, appreciate the response. My mind is at ease now i guess. TBH i think i was expecting the ride to be a little more knocky after changing the springs but after performing a significant change to your car it still doesnt stop the paranoia creeping in. ;P

Back