General Buying guidance? What to look out for and what to avoid!

Currently reading:
General Buying guidance? What to look out for and what to avoid!

GuyTW

Hello all,

The thread title will tell you I am new here but I am looking into buying a 500 Abarth and am looking for the usual newbie buying guidance.

I have had a fairly good trawl through the threads and haven’t found anything specific and I know sometimes forums have pinned posts so if there is one that I have missed could you please point me in the right direction. Failing that could those with some experience please pass on any pearls of wisdom or any hard learnt lessons. I’m not very mechanical (im happy to give things a try but know my limits) so don’t want to buy something that needs me to rebuild the engine.

Any buying guidance or things to look for and avoid would be most greatfully recieved. I don’t have an unlimited budget as this would be a second car/weekend toy so I need to ensure I buy wisely and I will naturally be looking to buy second hand.

Many thanks
Guy

The best advice is to get the newest you can afford.

I had four Abarths and I think the Series 3 was the nicest to drive, even in 145 BHP form, it was the sweet spot, mine had 17" wheels with Michelin tyres and it was lovely to drive, a series 4 with Pirellis felt dead in comparison.

As always get a service history, if you're not sure, go for another, there are plenty around to choose from

Bought a 2013 abarth for my son last year. I am halfway through the price of the car in maintenance issues. It has been $7k in parts so far. He loves it but has been a money sink

First problem was multi air actuator replacement, 3k with labor. Faulty sensor mount, car rides low so he hit a top of a manhole cover, 3k of damage. Hopefully no more issues!

You get the T-Jet engine in the UK and Europe, so the Multi-Air thing is not an issue.
The T-Jet is pretty bomb proof, personally, I'd avoid anything with after market modifications, remaps, etc

Back