First aid course

Currently reading:
First aid course

I've been trained with St John's since 1980. Initially a 1 week course with 3 day refreshers, every 3 years.

Our trainer warned us about the dangers of helping members of the public a few refreshers ago (probably about 10 years) & we talked about the insurance through St. John's. The trainer mentioned two specific events, one was because some jeans had to be cut to access the injury, the other was a biker in serious danger after a smash - had to be moved out of harm's way immediately.

There was quite a bit of discussion about this at the time. The trainer was also saying that there is a huge danger when the public congregate around a patient - everyone wants to throw in their twopenn'orth & half the advice can be completely wrong. Another problem can be, if you come late to the scene & Joe public has already carried out 'first aid' they learned from watching an episode of Dr Kildare.

Regarding the child's burn, always advised to send to hospital - THEY are the experts- a small burn on an adult can be huge for a kid - let A&E decide.

Several years ago i was asked if I would be the first aider for my son's rugby team - they sent me on a specific course which turned out to be a one-day course* run by God knows who. The book they taught from & handed out was a Dorling Kindersley (SP?) book of first aid which had been printed several years earlier:bang:. *9 - 5, starting at 9.30 after refreshments, hour off for lunch, mid afternoon refs & finish at 4pm not bad going to cover the whole book (n)

I was also advised that there has not been a successful prosecution for administering first aid.

A judge would throw it out if it went to court.
Myself I would rather consider the good that it can do rather than the minuscule possibility of some prat trying it on after you have saved their (or their childs) life.

she sent this email tonight.

Hello and welcome to Colchester First Aid

You may remember that in October you attended the Jungle Adventure Safety Day where we were offering demonstrations and advice regarding initial treatment of burns.

We are now offering a special First Aid for Parents/Carers course at Jungle Adventure on Thursday 30th January 2014 and still have spaces available.

The course will cover CPR, the recovery position, choking, burns and scalds, meningitis, febrile convulsions and other relevant paediatric topics.

We have brand new state of the art equipment and will incorporate lot of hands-on practical skills into the course, which is run by a fully qualified first aid instructor.

You will earn a certificate which is valid for three years on completion of the course.

The course will run from 10:00 until 13:00 and will include a coffee break.

The total cost is £35 per person and includes a free downloadable student manual.

she sent this email tonight.

Hello and welcome to Colchester First Aid

You may remember that in October you attended the Jungle Adventure Safety Day where we were offering demonstrations and advice regarding initial treatment of burns.

We are now offering a special First Aid for Parents/Carers course at Jungle Adventure on Thursday 30th January 2014 and still have spaces available.

The course will cover CPR, the recovery position, choking, burns and scalds, meningitis, febrile convulsions and other relevant paediatric topics.

We have brand new state of the art equipment and will incorporate lot of hands-on practical skills into the course, which is run by a fully qualified first aid instructor.

You will earn a certificate which is valid for three years on completion of the course.

The course will run from 10:00 until 13:00 and will include a coffee break.

The total cost is £35 per person and includes a free downloadable student manual.

Got a sure start centre near you my mate did a free morning course with them a few months back

http://www.surestartcentralcc.org.uk/cowgate-blakelaw-adult-learning#First Aid

https://www.gov.uk/find-sure-start-childrens-centre

but she did say she was sat among delinquents that had been told they must attend the course by social workers (she wanted to do the course for her own piece of mind rather than been made to do it)

Last edited:
really all in three hours minus a coffee break? you not going to learn anything useful on this course and probably waste £35.

plenty of courses about offer more and many are free

As Andy has said, all that in <3 hours isn't really achievable IMO.

My AED training which covered CPR and using the AED was a full 5 hour afternoon on its own.

As Andy has said, all that in <3 hours isn't really achievable IMO.

My AED training which covered CPR and using the AED was a full 5 hour afternoon on its own.

First aid at work with AED i did was a 3 day that said 3 coffee breaks wasted lots of time still it was free to me :D

dont forget if female dont forget to remove the bra ;)

It all depends on the severity of the burn, if its something like a cooking tray then run under cold water. The skin can create its own barrier. Whereas a partial or full thickness burn where the burn has gone deep into the dermis layer then yes infection could occur, so a visit to the hospital may be a good idea. But same immediate treatment will help, and help keep the wound clean. Its all about making a judgement call, if you think the burn requires proffesional treatment then hospital is the place to go. But a+e is so full of people that dont actually need to be there they are run off their feet. So if it can be self treated then that will be enough. Aloe vera is a godsend for burns also. We use aloe vera pads in work, they work miracles.

(Advice from me a firefighter and my better half, an a+e nurse)

Last edited:
It all depends on the severity of the burn, if its something like a cooking tray then run under cold water. The skin can create its own barrier. Whereas a partial or full thickness burn where the burn has gone deep into the dermis layer then yes infection could occur, so a visit to the hospital may be a good idea. But same immediate treatment will help, and help keep the wound clean. Its all about making a judgement call, if you think the burn requires proffesional treatment then hospital is the place to go. But a+e is so full of people that dont actually need to be there they are run off their feet. So if it can be self treated then that will be enough. Aloe vera is a godsend for burns also. We use aloe vera pads in work, they work miracles.

(Advice from me a firefighter and my better half, an a+e nurse)
Almost word for word what Mrs. Beard said :)

St Johns courses are very good, i dont think 3 hours is anywhere near enough time to cover all of those subjects properly.

Good advice from Stevetjet on burns, you can also use the palm of the casualty to measure the size of a burn, palm size =approx 1% of their body surface, helps ambulance call taker etc to assess the seriousness of the burn.

Back