General Firefly cambelt?

Currently reading:
General Firefly cambelt?

Picked up my new "wheels" .. a 1.0ltr Firefly engined doodah, in Sport flavour. Sporty Red, which is an even better colour in real life than it looks in the photos. :love:

I had a nose under the bonnet to see what's what.. the engine is positively tiny, which at least means lots of room to repair it later... :p:p but I don't see a conventional looking cam-belt cover etc. The manual itself only references changing the aux belt.

I'd assumed the 'Fly would have a cam-belt and never considered that it might not. What's happening in there?

Ralf S.

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 133
I went for the leather seat option (as distinct from the standard "techno-leather" which is part artificial leather and part cloth ). Apart from they smell a bit nice, they're a fine and thick-skinned looking piece of equipment. The car was special order because of the seats (4 months wait!) but I'm pleased with them. I'll post photos in due course.

I also chose the full-sized spare wheel since a skinny wheel, or worse, a tin of aerosol gummy-bears isn't going to cut it for me. Statistically.. I'm most likely to get a flat (or rather, notice a puncture) on my driveway, so being able to stick on a full sized wheel and get on with my day will reduce the PITFA-ness of it. The "full sized spare" I got is a regular 19" alloy road wheel, which makes the £180 (I think it cost) an absolute bargain.

Anyways.. 11 miles on the odometer and so far no defects to report.. :cool: 🥳

Ralf S.

Picked up my new "wheels" .. a 1.0ltr Firefly engined doodah, in Sport flavour. Sporty Red, which is an even better colour in real life than it looks in the photos. :love:

I had a nose under the bonnet to see what's what.. the engine is positively tiny, which at least means lots of room to repair it later... :p:p but I don't see a conventional looking cam-belt cover etc. The manual itself only references changing the aux belt.

I'd assumed the 'Fly would have a cam-belt and never considered that it might not. What's happening in there?

Ralf S.
Firefly are all chain driven engine's

Sounds like a marvellous bit of kit.

If it's my last ever petrol burner... good that it's as tricksy and modern as there is... :)

Ralf S.
I suppose a chain cam is logical, as the little twinair engine also used a chain. Don't know if there is any other carryover from that design.

The handbook says that the car will tell me when it's due a service and I have the Fiat discounted service plan and the warranty to keep up, so it'll be in the dealership at least once a year to start with. I intend to change the oil in the summer regardless, since it's new and the oil filter will be picking up at least some pieces of swarf.. and even if it isn't, it's not a huge cost to keep my OCD happy. :whistle:

After that, if the dealer changes it at 12 months, then fine.. if they don't, then I probably will again. Working from home, I'm only doing about 9-10,000 miles a year now, so an oil change every 5000 miles will be luxury for the Fly.

I did experiment with my old Alfa 155 v6 (much simpler tech, admittedly) and just changed the oil every 12,000 miles as recommended. I tried sticking to one oil but at the time I was doing so many miles that it was impossible, so it got whatever I got a hold of at the time, in 10W40 semi synhetic, as recommend.

When the head gasket failed and I had it apart it was a good chance to have a look inside. The bores were great, the camshafts not bad and the crank journals had some signs of wear.. but for 180,000 at the time, I was impressed.

The only negative was that there was a lot of black gum and varnish in the crankcases and furry "carbon" build up in the oilways... nothing serious .. but an 8mm channel was reduced to about 7mm... to give you an idea. I thought if I ever had a new motor, I'd probably change the oil at half the recommended interval, to help keep that kind of build-up more under control.. which is where I am now.

If there's a complicated fandango in the valve-gear, then that's probably another reason to keep it clean. The handbook isn't completely clear on what oil to use... it's either 0? or 5W30 or 0W20 depending on the engine. I'll have to read the small print but at a first time glance it seemed like my engine could be both of these. If anyone has deciphered the correct oil to use, let me know.. 🤓

Ralf S.

Your car's just been built so it will be Euro6D - Final, which uses 0W20. My car is one of the last of the 2020 model year, which is when the emissions standard changeover happened and I got a supplementary handbook which sets this out.

Cool, thanks. My book mentions "E6D - Final" and "E6D" but then lists the 1.0ltr, 1.3 etc. after both of those, so there's no more specific information for me to go on. Somewhere I'll probably find that mine is definitely a "Final".

I guess the changes are related to emissions rather than the materials used inside the engine, so it doesn't sound like a disaster if I used either oil grade.. but I'll start looking up the 0W20s for it/when I need some.

Ralf S.

Keeping the oil nice and fresh must be good for the timing chain. Also, in the Twinair and Multiair 1.4 designs, there was a filter in the oil way to the electrohydraulic valve system, which isn't a routine service change item. There is anecdotal evidence that running the oil for too long between changes can cause this to gum up and result in valve system issues.

Back