General Fire Extinguisher Mounting

Currently reading:
General Fire Extinguisher Mounting

The weakest link is usually the mounting, so make shure you can't physically rip it off. Under the seat is good as it can't get through to the footwell if it did come loose, or in the footwell under the passenger side just under the dash mounted horizontal maybe.

Last edited:
Under the seat is a no, as theres gonna be no way of getting to it easily. also, i think it might catch, as this ones wide but short.

dunno what you mean about a dash mounted horizontal thp :confused:

yup you have that nice bar under the dash to bolt too.
you can screw it to the side of the centre console.
easily replaceable if your worried about holes.
if its security that worries you then put a plate behind it and bolt through it.
however those little extinguisers are for very small fires,dont even try to deal with a car thats really burning.

just hold it between ur legs when driving ;p be sure to pack loads of foam in the groin area tho.

haha seriously i think UNDER the Dash wud be an ideal location. not too far, and still out of sight :)

Mines screwed onto the old seat belt housing thing in the back, not the most accessible and will only really work i suppose if the back seats are out. But i think it looks pretty cool. lol

Jamie

Attachments

• DSC00432.JPG
    DSC00432.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 21
Tie wrapping to a roll cage is not a good idea as they are not strong enough.

It was only tbhe mounting that was tie wrapped on.but its still crap. I didn't do it,it came in me scrap cinq,i just got the cage out of it. The extinguisher's poop anyway,the handles been snapped off.

Ill be getting a proper one and it'll be bolted to the floor

Dont know what the Chinq/ Sei has in terms of inner plastic work along the inner door sill but i have mounted mine there on my Grande punto by backing one of the screws out and replacing it with a slightly longer one due to the thickness of the bracket in the drivers foot well... its an ANAF unit from lidl http://www.anaf.biz/estintori.php?ids=14&ext=70

with a bracket like this

http://www.anaf.biz/estintori.php?ids=14&ext=86

and its bracket is nice and secure with a wrap round strap and a bigger 2kg unit in the boot ( i go camping a lot take a petrol lawnmower to cut grans grass ect)

just don't expect it to preform wonders if its under 1kg like one of the poxy 600gram £10 Firemaster units take it back and get something at least a kilo just look here (you tube link below) at how long a 1kg unit will take to discharge and halfthat.... IMO it plays on peoples nievity (spl) on how serious a car fire can be...

:eek:

lol, yeah, I once released a 1kg one that we had in our kitchen, it had expired.

I took it out the back yard, and triggered it.

One hell of a mess for 20 seconds max, and it was spent. Don't see the point in it really other than regulation for rallying or European driving.

Kristian

its a 1.1kg one. I just wanted it just in case, you never know if one day it might be useful. Might not be a car accident, might be at a FF meet and the bbq sets the gazebo alight.

It was cheap, so i thought wth :D

Dunno about drilling into the floor, this isnt a rally car just a noraml car that happens to have a extinguisher in it :p

Think im gonna go around the car next time i have a day off and seet just where i might fit it. :chin:

Attachments

• DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    638.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I tried to find a clip of a marshall putting out a car fire but youtube isn't being very helpful.

Basically these little extinguishers are going to be good for nothing more than a small electrical fire. Once something is ablaze you'll need more than 1Kg to put it out. The bottles used on racing circuits are 9Kg powder or foam - and to put out a big fire may take several bottles.

Also if you're going to use it. Try to get upwind of the fire and use bursts of powder. Blatting it all out in one go will just mean you use it all faster and can't see if the fire is out. If you're downwind.. well lets just say you won't want to stray too far from your toilet.

Quote hellcat: "If you're downwind.. well lets just say you won't want to stray too far from your toilet." speaking from personal experience hellcat? :D

from the fire training i have had i was told when using dry powder to use the entire extinguisher on the fire as there is a high likely hood the fire will reignite as powder doesn't stop a fire reigniting but is easyer to use by average joe than AFFF or Foam....

look at this its been done to prove a point and i have experienced this first hand on a fire at work...

what it needs is every car to have one and to have people who are prepared to stop and give/ use there extinguisher at the scene of an accident if its needed...

Serin come on be honest you only got it because its silver :D

:rolleyes:

I bought it beacuse "you never know". It was also only £6, so it was worth a punt. If i dont use it *Meh* its only 6 quid, but if i need it it could be worth its weight in gold

i have had training on how to use extinguishers thanks to work and know that its not exactly a whole lotta good, but it might come in usefull. Who knows, i might have a small electrical fire, its a car, its got lots of electrics inside it!

I havent bought it thinking that if my car sets on fire ill be able to save it with this dainty little thing. I didnt ask to be told this time and time again, I just wanted to know possible locations where to mount the blasted thing. Its a "just in case" item that might give me a few seconds to get myself or a passenger out, Or if were at a meet and the bbq topples over and sets fire to something. I cant think of any other random small fires I may come into contact with, but thats the point, You NEVER know!! :rolleyes:

No not from personal experience.. cheeky git :p

Use on a race track is powder to knock the flames down - foam to keep them down. Will be training again this Jan so get to set fire to the Pug again :D

Serin, don't panic that we've said they're not much use lots of times. You know someone might just skip to the end of this thread and not see a warning. Don't want anyone having a false sence of security.

Unfortunately the environmentalists out there have decided that rally cars can't have decent extinguishers. We now have AFFF, or soapy water.

I can't see how a burning rally car causes less problems to our atmosphere than a quick burst of Halon.

Rant over.

Cheers

D

Back