General Fire Extinguisher Mounting

Currently reading:
General Fire Extinguisher Mounting

have to agree rallyCinq Halon was probably one of the best extinguishing mediums out at the time bloody tree hungers :D that and the numbers of people who died in ships engine rooms.

Serin have you got a photo of the bracket IIRC the bracket that comes with those Kiddie units is a "hanging" bracket rather than a "strap" bracket?

https://www.selectsafetysales.com/p...tinguisher_Users_Manual_English_&_Spanish.pdf

the bracket is on it in the photo.

Theres like a clip that goes around the neck, and then a strap that clips tightly around the body about half way down. Its only plastic, but should be okay

Dont want to p155 on your bonfire Serin and certainly don't want to appear a pr@t for saying this after what you said about people knocking its effectiveness. But i have just had a look at the picture of your extinguisher whilst trying to see teh bracket and its a BC powder unit which is only suitable for flammable liquid fires and electrical fires but is next to useless on any class A type fires burning solids e.g. car seats, tires, plastic engine components...

The upshot of this is that BC powder units are ideal in the Kitchen (try not to upset her in doors :D ) as Unlike ABC dry powder it is easyer to clean up as ABC (mono-ammonium phosphate) tends to Melt at around 200 degrees C and form a skin which helps prevent reignition on very hot Class A materials, which can be almost impossible to remove from a textured surface like the inside of an oven or cooker surround.... where as the BC (sodium bicarbonate) doesn't melt but is good at knocking down cooking oil fires and the like...

if your still going to fit it fine but just thought i'd point it out before you go butchering your car interior to fit it only to have some smug git point it out at a later date.. (y)

if you want something better look at the Gloria units on http://www.safelincs.co.uk/section.php?xSec=51

these got a very good write up a few years ago by the caravan club or a caravan magazine and have a decent bracket (approved for marine use) and are the ones supplied OEM by BMW and to be totally honest if i was replacing the one in my car i'd be going for the 2 ltr foam unit they are almost idiot proof (not saying you are but some people tend to flap big time with panic i personally forgot to pull the pin out on an extinguisher the first time i had used one for real :eek: ) with no pin to pull out basically they are a push button one then button two to discharge and the grip makes it almost impossible to use the wrong way round (have seen this on a fire training day) :D

pictures of how i mounted mine in my gp ..

fire_extinguisher.jpg

Last edited:
Dont want to p155 on your bonfire Serin and certainly don't want to appear a pr@t for saying this after what you said about people knocking its effectiveness. But i have just had a look at the picture of your extinguisher whilst trying to see teh bracket and its a BC powder unit which is only suitable for flammable liquid fires and electrical fires but is next to useless on any class A type fires burning solids e.g. car seats, tires, plastic engine components...

The upshot of this is that BC powder units are ideal in the Kitchen (try not to upset her in doors :D ) as Unlike ABC dry powder it is easyer to clean up as ABC (mono-ammonium phosphate) tends to Melt at around 200 degrees C and form a skin which helps prevent reignition on very hot Class A materials, which can be almost impossible to remove from a textured surface like the inside of an oven or cooker surround.... where as the BC (sodium bicarbonate) doesn't melt but is good at knocking down cooking oil fires and the like...

if your still going to fit it fine but just thought i'd point it out before you go butchering your car interior to fit it only to have some smug git point it out at a later date.. (y)

if you want something better look at the Gloria units on http://www.safelincs.co.uk/section.php?xSec=51

these got a very good write up a few years ago by the caravan club or a caravan magazine and have a decent bracket (approved for marine use) and are the ones supplied OEM by BMW and to be totally honest if i was replacing the one in my car i'd be going for the 2 ltr foam unit they are almost idiot proof (not saying you are but some people tend to flap big time with panic i personally forgot to pull the pin out on an extinguisher the first time i had used one for real :eek: ) with no pin to pull out basically they are a push button one then button two to discharge and the grip makes it almost impossible to use the wrong way round (have seen this on a fire training day) :D

pictures of how i mounted mine in my gp ..

fire_extinguisher.jpg

well you are basically.

You havent read a single thing on the post have you? and you still havent answered the question I started the thread for :rolleyes:

I didnt ask for some help telling me what extinguisher it is, I can read what it says on the side of the canister! Theres ever pictures in case that day i decided i have had enough of reading.

I dont want, or need help to buy a "proper" extinguisher. I dont really need one, and especially for the price of those. My cars insured for fire and theft, so let the ****er burn!

NO this was a case of "meh, you never know"

I also bought a toilet seat, answering machine and mini screwdriver set, Would you like to criticize my choices there to? Ill even start you off.....

"You'll never use the mini-driver set as you dont have many things with tiny little screws, and your wrist watch is most likely warrantied...

Here is a link to a proper jewelers set of mini screwdrivers that will be guarneteed to last forever www.stupidlyexpencivescrewdriversforjewelers.com"

Last edited:
Wind your neck in Serin I was only trying to help....

try looking on www.Fireextinguishersforsnobs.com :D

I had a look at the extinguisher you bought (did you get it from Aldi by any chance?) the extinguisher is very long in the body The bracket only seems to support around the top shroud (and the strap 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the can) and the screw holes are close together i can see a chance if you mount it sideways eg under your seat it's own weight could force it out of the bracket or pull the screws though as it rotates under hard braking or a collision.. also under your seat you would have to move the seat back to get your hands on the release tab to undo the strap....

you don't want to drill your dash so that rules out mounting it upright in the front of the cabin you probably could mount it on the B-pillar (providing your fixings don't inter-fear with the seatbelt) but then the chances are the seat would fowl it and passengers would knock it every time they climbed out of the back.

The boots the obvious place although as others have said if you get stoved from behind you wont be able to get to it and it takes vital seconds to open the boot to get it, i have the larger extinguisher in my boot fitted to the back wall of the rear seats but its only thin metal so i wound up using "peel rivets" to fix it as self tappers wouldn't bite and just pulled out. the problem with that is when you fold the seats down you can be sure its going to get in the way :rolleyes:

well you are basically.

You havent read a single thing on the post have you? and you still havent answered the question I started the thread for :rolleyes:

I didnt ask for some help telling me what extinguisher it is, I can read what it says on the side of the canister! Theres ever pictures in case that day i decided i have had enough of reading.

I dont want, or need help to buy a "proper" extinguisher. I dont really need one, and especially for the price of those. My cars insured for fire and theft, so let the ****er burn!

NO this was a case of "meh, you never know"

I also bought a toilet seat, answering machine and mini screwdriver set, Would you like to criticize my choices there to? Ill even start you off.....

"You'll never use the mini-driver set as you dont have many things with tiny little screws, and your wrist watch is most likely warrantied...

Here is a link to a proper jewelers set of mini screwdrivers that will be guarneteed to last forever www.stupidlyexpencivescrewdriversforjewelers.com"

^ LOL!!!

Wind your neck in Serin I was only trying to help....

try looking on www.Fireextinguishersforsnobs.com :D

I had a look at the extinguisher you bought (did you get it from Aldi by any chance?) the extinguisher is very long in the body The bracket only seems to support around the top shroud (and the strap 1/3 to 1/2 the way down the can) and the screw holes are close together i can see a chance if you mount it sideways eg under your seat it's own weight could force it out of the bracket or pull the screws though as it rotates under hard braking or a collision.. also under your seat you would have to move the seat back to get your hands on the release tab to undo the strap....

you don't want to drill your dash so that rules out mounting it upright in the front of the cabin you probably could mount it on the B-pillar (providing your fixings don't inter-fear with the seatbelt) but then the chances are the seat would fowl it and passengers would knock it every time they climbed out of the back.

The boots the obvious place although as others have said if you get stoved from behind you wont be able to get to it and it takes vital seconds to open the boot to get it, i have the larger extinguisher in my boot fitted to the back wall of the rear seats but its only thin metal so i wound up using "peel rivets" to fix it as self tappers wouldn't bite and just pulled out. the problem with that is when you fold the seats down you can be sure its going to get in the way :rolleyes:

that I did, ive never been to aldi before, anywho I didnt get why anyone would want it under the seat as its no use there, same with the boot, i didnt get that either :confused: odd suggestions

idealy, i dont want it head height. I was planning on mounting it where ion is mounted on my Golf, down by the bottom corner on the door, in the foot well, upright.

That way if it goes anywhere it shouldnt go to far, all i wanted to know was if it was safe to drill into there. The dub came with it from the factory, so must be an alright place.

Going on from rallycinqs suggestion of having it like youd have it in a rally car, as i cant have it like that (i have carpets, seats that tilt and sod drilling into the floor! :)p) i was wondering if i could mount it to the seat frame. Also means i can butt the bottom end up against something solid

Im back from holiday now, so shall sit in the car with it and try places

just read this post, and i cant really help with mounting, but i did go out and fire my extinguisher. (getting new one tomorro) it lasted 7 seconds and just made my grass white, probably not going to do anything but its worth ashot if any small fires start, but if the engine goes im legging it hah.

7 seconds is a long time in the life of a fire, in motorsport the idea of the handheld one in the car is either to allow you time to get out, or to put out the grass you've landed on.

The biggest mistake people make when there is an underbonnet fire, is to open the bonnet. Even a small extinguisher directed under a slightly raised edge of bonnet can put a fire out.

Cheers

D

Back