General Fire 1108cc Electronic ignition module overheats.

Currently reading:
General Fire 1108cc Electronic ignition module overheats.

Seanlr

Hello all.

Have not been here for a while as I was without internet.

Anyway When driving my electronic ignition module overheats and this causes my car to stall. I can drive again once I have cooled the ignition module down (last night I did this with spray on oil).
I have replaced it several times already in the last year. (I am now on my 4'th one).

I have also noticed my radiator pipes are all bleeding a little which tells me there is some other problem here with the cooling.
The last time I put the new ignition module on I did not attach it to the distributor (As I thought the problem was conduction) but that has also not really helped.

Attachments

• DSC00137.JPG
    DSC00137.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
If your ignition amplifier is regularly overheating then it will burn out. I suspect that you have an earth issue that needs addressing or you have a short somwhere. I seem to recall that the amplifier has an earth wire that bolts onto the distributor body. Make sure the surface it connects to is clean and not oxidised otherwise you may be getting a poor earth leading increased electrical resistance. This could be the cause of your problems.

As for the coolant leaking, if the engine isn't overheating then try tightening them up. Check that the hoses haven't gone hard with age, which can cause similar issues. Another thing that can be done is to remove the pipe and check the union that they fit onto. Many times you will see a build up of alloy corrosion that can cause a poor seal. You can clean this off with wet and dry paper, and also carefully do the same to the inside of the leaking hose if there are deposits evident there too. You may now find that the hose will seal a lot better.

Hope this helps!

From memory, the wires from the inner distributor pick up to the outer module have a plastic or fabric coating over them. with time the wires inside start to wear away and when they get warn they start to sperate and when they cool down they go back together again, you may be able to remove the outer coating and repair the wires

I replaced the sensor inside the distributor last year (and with that all those wires).

I'll see 2 morrow what I can do.

I replaced the sensor inside the distributor last year (and with that all those wires).

I'll see 2 morrow what I can do.

Given that the module drives the coil, that is next in the firing line (so to speak). I wonder, when you replaced the module, did you replace the coil?

If the coil has some shorted turns, that would explain the decrease in resistance/increase in current flow.

Also, if the coil is intended for a different system, that may give problems - so make sure it's an Uno coil.

Finally ensure that the coil is properly earthed. It's bolted to the bodyshell - I know - but clean its mountings with a wire brush anyway. I think on our 45 FIRE models, it's attached to a bracket that bolts on near the left suspension strut. Of course, the bracket itself needs a careful clean as well, where it eventually joins to the bodywork.

Anyway welcome back (y) I remember your posts from long ago...

-Alex

Last edited:
LOL thanks for the welcome.

We having a UK summers day here today (13'c 80%humidity and threatening to rain) Rained last night so everything is wet.

Going to have breakfast, few more cups of coffee then I'll go and risk freezing in the garage in the name of transport.

(Public holiday 2day)

I did all the above but now need to wait till tomorrow and hope I can get a lift to the spares shop as the electronic ignition has given the ghost.

I found my live wire going to the starter motor from the battery was loose and arcing on the engine when shook around. I have an idea this may also have been causing some of my trouble.

With the new module and all the other maintenance the car is going again.
Only time will tell if I have found the source for my ignition module suicide problem.
Thinking back the first time I replaced the module I also serviced the starter motor.
It may be the live cable has been loose since.

With the new module and all the other maintenance the car is going again.
Only time will tell if I have found the source for my ignition module suicide problem.
Thinking back the first time I replaced the module I also serviced the starter motor.
It may be the live cable has been loose since.

Fingers crossed it will run fine now (y)

I think it may have been.

the ignition module is still a bit hot to the touch after a 22km run (my drive from home 2 work) but it is not nearly as hot as it was getting :D

Still going strong :)
Went for a 60+k drive yesterday and the engine is still running smoothly without overheating.

Back