Technical fiat uno 60s turbo?

Currently reading:
Technical fiat uno 60s turbo?

luigi1992

Hi guys im 21 and im from nz ive had my 1993 uno 60s for 2 years now and have come to the conclussion things need to change!
ive looked all over the show here about finding a uno turbo engine but its just not happening ;( sooooooo i was looking at just taking the 1.4l fuel injected and gearbox and using friends of mine that are steel fabricators getting a turbo manifold made im sure it wont be quite as much fun as the factory turbo's but its gonna be a big improvment! im here more looking to make sure that the 1.4l engine will bold straight in using the same engine and gearbox mounts? what about suspension and brakes?? i can buy brand new uno turbo shocks and brakes will they bolt straight into my car?

option one: get a standard 1.4 and turbo charge it. not much info here as the factory UT engine is massivly diffrent to the standard and every one used to just swap that. parts and knowledge is getting hard to find now. stopping it from over heating all the time is gonna be tough. the block has a tendency to change shape with too much heat, hence the extra oil sprays and channles.

option two: tune what u have. people in the cinq/sei section have lots of experiance with a setup like this. most will turbocharge it and get around 100bhp with lots of work.

option three: swap for a punto 75 engine: easy swap here. again, cinq/sei forum for info. 75 bhp stock. swap can be done in a few weekends.

option four: t-jet. some people on other forums have clamed 250bhp on standard internals and a large enough turbo. full ecu and loom from the original car is required really along with the body computer and lock set. a forum member was looking at this not long ago... https://www.fiatforum.com/uno/293736-mk1-uno-1-4-t-jet-fire-turbo-sleeper-project.html

i can get my hands on hold of the 1.4 for incredibly cheap is reason i was going that way. if over heating is the problem ill have could i install an allor radiator and oil cooler would that help enough?? im not going for crazy power just a bit more would probably be looking for around 7psi to start with. i was going to use an uno turbo head gasket (thinking it must be stronger) will it fit? what about suspension/brakes do you know if the mk2 uno turbo parts will bolt in easily?

Other option I have is just turbo the 1108 carb engine do they handle it pretty well?

http://www.sportingfiatsclub.com/models/uno/uno.asp this site has alot of info on everthing uno.

suspention wise, most things are still availabe. powerflex still do bushings and lowing springs and stiffer shocks shouldnt be a challenge. coilovers could be tricky but im sure others on this site know more than i on this subject.

cinq and sei section is full of stuff on turboing the 1108 fire and most other fire engines. if yours has carbs this could be an issue because as a rule carbs dont like turbo power.

if the 1.4 is really cheap then it could still be a sensable option. my only worry is that you will forever be problem solving. the cooling on the factory UT lump is marginal if poorly maintained hence the addition of oil and intercoolers, injector cooler and piston oil sprays so adding just an alloy rad will still limit you. renember that fiat spent quite some time when modyfying that engine for forced indction and that engine + turbo is a tight fit in an uno engine bay anyway.

the standard boost pressure is 0.6bar (mk1) or 0.7bar (mk2). at a total guess i wouldnt take the n/a engine above 0.3 bar. for refrence, most cinq turbos run about 0.5 to give 85bhp but with a 50% increase in torque.

ofcourse its your car so your choice. its good to see people trying new things. alot of uno knowledge seems to be disappearing at the moment (except in brazil) and i guess this is how it is retained. have u considerd using the 1.4 but without turbo. its a perfictly good engine at the end of the day and i sure the fiat x1/9 guys know how to get some more power from it. (y)

Back