Technical Fiat Punto ECU Fault ? (VIDEO)

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto ECU Fault ? (VIDEO)

Jackniksmith

Hi there,

i have been on this forum for a few days to try and pin point the problem to my punto, i have done all the things you guys and said and still no progress so i guess that its the ecu fault. I have made a video of the car and how it sounds so if you guys could have a look and tell me what yout think.

View My Video

Thanks

Sounds like a helicoptor :p
Can't hear it all properly atmcos baby is being a pain in the ass atm and won't shut up! I wouldn't say that was ECU though

O dear !!! if its not the ecu i think my luck may be up and i may aswell give it to the garage. If anyone else can have a look that would be great. Thanks Bredsticz

Clearly running on two cylinders, so either a coil issue, the wiring to it, or the ECU is not switching it.

T's guide tells you how to determine which coil isn't working. Once you've done that, undo the 4mm allen bolts holding both on and swap them around. If the fault switches with the coil (ie, the same 'duff' coil is now affecting the other two cylinders- then it's faulty. If the fault is now on the other coil (the one which was fine before), then it's either the wiring or ECU.

My money is on the ECU failed.

O dear !!! if its not the ecu i think my luck may be up and i may aswell give it to the garage. If anyone else can have a look that would be great. Thanks Bredsticz

I guarantee the fault code will be coil 1 or coil 2, but it won't necessarily be the coil at fault. ;)

Seems to be running better than 2 cylinders to me. Then engine wasn't shaking that much or was it just me :confused:

No the engine was shaking like mad but you couldn't really see it thats why my mate put his hand on the air box. So does shaking mean something ???

Can you still drive it? Has it lost lots of power? Could the helicopter noise be head gasket blowing out? Not saying it ain't a coil so agree you should check that out first. If coild OK perhaps need to get an ECU code reader on it. Post back if you're going to do that; I or others on here can advise.

red

Last edited:
Can you still drive it? Has it lost lots of power? Could the helicopter noise be head gasket blowing out? Not saying it ain't a coil so agree you should check that out first. If coild OK perhaps need to get an ECU code reader on it. Post back if you're going to do that; I or others on here can advise.

red

I can drive it but would have to leave 3 hours early as it does about 20mph, has no power what so ever. Can the head gasket just randomly go???. I checked all the coils and made a other video of me checking by pulling out the 2 ping power thing on one coil and it still starts,then do it on the other one and still starts so guessing they are both working??. When the RAC man put a code reader on, it came up with coil 1 and 2 or cylinders, but the man said the ecu always says that when its broken. So think i will just order my ECU tomorrow if its not that may drop match in the tank :D lol thanks

just keep runnning it so fuel can contaminate the catalyst & you'll need one of them aswell.

Sorry you mean by running it i can damage something else, and well i have to start it to test if things are working. thanks

Back