Fiat Punto 1.2 Auto - Can this be towed?

Currently reading:
Fiat Punto 1.2 Auto - Can this be towed?

stitchup

Good morning from a wet South Wales!

I've just been offered a Punto on a 51 plate at what seems to be a good price for its condition, however, I would want to tow this behind my motorhome and being an automatic, this might be a non-starter!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

I'm not 100% sure if they were like the conventional autos or not. If so then it's a no, but if like the modern Selespeed auto boxes fiat have done it'll be fine in neutral.

Dave will probably be along in a bit and will know.

However have you looked into the legalities of towing with A frames etc :confused: probably better off with a trailer and then being automatic wont worry (y)

I think you would need to tow it with the front wheels off the ground, for legal reasons so should be fine in this Manor, I wouldn't tow with all wheels on the ground

It all comes down to if what you are towing is braked or not, there are means to brake the towed car this making it a braked trailer and fully road legal, the recovery side of things applies to towing a car as an unbraked trailer, having used braked towing dollies and A frames in the past they are legal as long as you obey the rules of braked v unbraked

It all comes down to if what you are towing is braked or not, there are means to brake the towed car this making it a braked trailer and fully road legal, the recovery side of things applies to towing a car as an unbraked trailer, having used braked towing dollies and A frames in the past they are legal as long as you obey the rules of braked v unbraked

It comes down to a lot more than brakes Unfortunatly. Was covered recently in another thread. With regards to braked dollies, they're not concidered braked trailers as not all the wheels will have operation brakes, ie the two from the car on the road. Insurance is another black hole also, where recovery insurance is slightly different to general car / campervan insurance.

Devices I've used in the past link to the brake pedal of the towed car making them 4 wheel braked on an A frame, similar on a dolly

Though the point of this thread was more about if an auto punto could be towed rather than the legalities of towing it

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies, I'm grateful for your input and advice.

However, I might not be using my Fiat atall after yesterday! First day od ownership, deove a leisurely 250 miles without any problems. Stopped for lunch and drove odf once again,xoveres about a mile and lost drive! Lifted the bonnet only to discover transmission fluid pouring out! The AA are in the process of recovering thw vehicle :(

Cheers

John

Back