Technical FIAT PETRA (SIENA) 1.6 Petrol maintaince advise

Currently reading:
Technical FIAT PETRA (SIENA) 1.6 Petrol maintaince advise

Hi all

Belated Diwali wishes to all

Can anyone help me the with location of the obd port in Palio / Siena Indian version

I plan to keep a Bluetooth obd reader connected

Also is Palio obd I or obd ii

Thanks in advance

Palio's until 2002 are OBD1, and the socket can be found in the engine bay, somewhat above the masterbrake cilinder!

Hi peter
Any idea about palios after 2002.

Also i read on some site that palio will need a converter to 16 pin plug to connect obd reader

Too much cobfusion

Hi peter
I want you to know a phenomenon of the way the 1.6 engine runs

I am not sure what's the traffic condition of your town, but here in Bombay due to bad roads, erratic driving and jams it's stop and go for a long time. So stopping and again moving takes a toll on the engine. Due to this my brother has a habit of changing gears too soon, not that he lets the engine lug but sort of a little too soon, say if it's moving traffic then at 1200 to 1500 rpm or total stop and go he changes at 900 to 1000 rpms

This is a general tendency here in India that sooner you change gears , more mpg you get. Maybe that works with Suzuki engines which is the highest selling automobile brand in India but somehow it's total opposite in case of my fiat Petra 1.6

With ac on, stop and go traffic and changing gears soon the mpg drops to 5.5 kmpl (kilometers per liter)

Now since two days we had to do lot of traveling I purposely told my brother to change gears near to max torque which I guess is at 4500 rpm. I can understand it's not possible to do that every time and specially when you can't maintain a decent speed. Due to that people tend to change gears too soon in all conditions

My brother followed what I told , maybe not every time but I guess 50 percent of time. He was shifting at around 3000 rpm. In city it's not possible to go above the third gear due to sudden stopping

Now today when I calculated, the kmpl was close to 7.25 to 7.5 kmpl. It's not dead accurate but it's quiet accurate

So what I am observing, is it a fact and a typical trait of fiat engines?

Do you also experience the same or there is something wrong somewhere in my car which I need to get checked?

Would really appreciate your inputs and everyone else is welcome to add their experience

maybe the fact you have covered MORE distance in these last days has mean the car has spent less time in stop/start traffic = that is the most likely cause of the improved fuel economy, not JUST the engine rev's,
Charlie

1st day around 6kmpl

2nd day around 7.5 kmpl

Both days 100 percent ac and identical road and traffic conditions

There's no easy answer.
Changing at 1000 rpm is way to soon, but 4500rpm is far to much!
As a rule, I change at no less than 2000 rpm's, and max. somewhere between 3000-4000 rpm.
High temps. and lot's of stop and go traffic is hard for any engine.
Again, keep the engine in perfect tuned condition, use quality oil and fuel, and keep an eye on tire pressure.

Hi peter
Nrver engine wadms revved till 4500 rpm. Just pointed that this 1.6 engine developsvpeak torque at 4500 rpm

Gear shifts were done at 2500 to 3000 rpm most of the time

Am filling fuel from only one pump with no quality issues, all fluids are at max

There's no easy answer.
Changing at 1000 rpm is way to soon, but 4500rpm is far to much!
As a rule, I change at no less than 2000 rpm's, and max. somewhere between 3000-4000 rpm.
High temps. and lot's of stop and go traffic is hard for any engine.
Again, keep the engine in perfect tuned condition, use quality oil and fuel, and keep an eye on tire pressure.

Wat is your cars average like?

Agreed its not known for their efficiency but what i have been getting is just too bad

Like in your case its 12

I went through several other pages on internet and al. Suggests to change at rpm where max torque is produced. So will follow 3000 rpm limit and see how it goes
Thanks

Last time the reserve light came, I immediately filled worth 500 INR which is 6.4 ltrs of petrol.

I know this is not the perfect way to take out average, that's why I have mentioned it as approx.

It ran for 43 Kms before the reserve light came again and I immediately filed up fuel worth 500 INR

So that equates to 6.71 kmpl with full ac useage. This is around 1 kmpl more then last time , when my brothers used to shift gears at lower rpms (below 2500 to 2000)

Traffic conditions were same all the time

Now the car has run for 55 Kms and still the reserve light has not come but my guess is it should light up in max 6 Kms more

But still that equates to average of 8.60 which is really a marked improvement

Maybe some others can try the same thing and see if benefits them w.r.t. To fuel economy

Back