Technical Fiat panda mk2 1.2 petrol 2009

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat panda mk2 1.2 petrol 2009

Stephen a

My panda has a parasitic drain. On the back of the bcm box the drain stops when I pull the plug which is code is pm black . Does anyone know what this pm black is connected to . Cheers

My panda has a parasitic drain. On the back of the bcm box the drain stops when I pull the plug which is code is pm black . Does anyone know what this pm black is connected to . Cheers
We need a bit more information

Like how many amps on key off

And how many amps after a few minuites

There's alway a drain, at key off and reduces as the BSI sleeps, but some thing have to remain powered up

Otherwise the remote, central locking, clock would not function correctly

Mine with the doors locked. Is nearly an amp 800ma which then drops to 39mA when the BSI sleeps

Different trim levels give different readings

Iv put new alternater on. And new battery. Renewed all grounds on car . Plus renewed positive cables with run to alternater and starter and underbonnet fuse box . Checked all fuses on car all OK. Plus used a multimeter. Only fuse which was faulty was fuse f40 heated rear window . Which was draining battery at 10amps . I pulled that f40 out . Alot better .now iv got a 2.5 amp draw . I pulled the hazard switch out.and un plugged. Still the same so not that . Iv pulled connections of rear window . And unplugged the radio .checked all relays under bonnet all ok . But still iv got a 2.5 amp draw . If I use it every day seam ok . Any longer. Goes flat . Cheers

Are you sure your measuring the amps correctly

10 amps or even 2.5 Amps is an awful lot of current

With that much current I am supprised what ever it is hasn't burnt out or gone open or worse it's about the same as amount of energy as some curling irons

it's about the same as amount of energy as some curling irons

I don't think so!

Curling irons are typically about 1500W.

Even 10A @ 12V is only 120W; a little less than a pair of conventional headlamps, and about the same as a typical heated rear window.

But a 10A static drain is far from normal, and would flatten a car battery in a few hours. Even 2.5A is way too high, and indicative of a problem somewhere.

Last edited:
I don't think so!

Curling irons are typically about 1500W.

Even 10A @ 12V is only 120W; a little less than a pair of conventional headlamps, and about the same as a typical heated rear window.

But a 10A static drain is far from normal, and would flatten a car battery in a few hours. Even 2.5A is way too high, and indicative of a problem somewhere.
I just just pick anything at random that gave out heat

But a single headlight is a good example why it need address ASAP it's almost a short, 5 amp and over 750C

They are at 2.5 times that of leaving the parking lights on even with one fuse pulled

Either something is wrong with the measurements or a lot of energy is being dumped somewhere normally as heat, its easy to get misleading information we need to step by step through, but seeing a problem and leaving it without investigating why, just leaving a 30A fuse isn't great. Most of the circuits share grounds

Personly at the very least I would be locking the car with the bonnet up and flicking the negative terminal off until I got to the bottom of it

Something that's not intermitant has to be fairly easy to get to the bottom of

The car does have a drain after its switched off. This stops after a bperiod of a fewminutes. If you test immediately after switching off you will see it. until BCM turns off dash, interior lights and it seems its its knicker elastic. Our 169 seems to take several minutes to clear, the 319 is faster to settle down.

Back