General Fiat Panda 4x4 Suspension

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda 4x4 Suspension

jack_see

Hi Folks

I got a fiat panda 4x4 E Reg - think thats an 89 model with a 1000cc fire engine in it.

How exactly do you go about raising this little beauty cause i need get more ground clearence (hence bigger tires etc) and i dont have a clue how lol.

HELP :cry:

mk

Hi congrat's on the panda & welcome to the Site (y)

There has been a few articles on raising the panda which isn't that difficult to do but it comes with drawbacks in that the bearings wear very quickly as a result of the driveshafts being at a higher angle. The quickest method to raise would be to use larger springs or spacers between the top mounts & the body the rear leaf springs would be raised by the old style jack up's between the springs & the body.

But why do you need to raise it? Much bigger tyres would change the gearing so it would useless off road i.e. climbing a hill in first would be like trying to set off in 3rd so you would have to increase power to compensate and may put too much pressure on the gearbox etc etc.

Hi mate

thanks for that. I do a fair bit of driving round farms and fields and am forever grounding the car where ppl drive down the tracks in land rovers - which have a bit of a bigger road clearence than me - can be pretty funny.

What is the biggest size wheel could get away with (as in depth and diameter)?

mk

185/70 R13's!
You have to spacer out the front bumper and not overload the car ridiculously. Take off your mudflaps. and put some decent shocks on!
DEad fun to drive on but make sure your tire pressures are up!

Thanks for all your advice guys, its really apreciated.

Just to clarify, without messing with any suspension or anything I can get away with putting 155's on.

Would this affect the poer transmission - would i still be able to go up hills lol (mine has a problem doing it as its is lol)

mk

jack_see said:

Just to clarify, without messing with any suspension or anything I can get away with putting 155's on.

Would this affect the poer transmission - would i still be able to go up hills lol (mine has a problem doing it as its is lol)

mk

155 tyres wont damage the gearbox, as alot of pandas were sold new with 155/65/R13 tyres.

jack_see said:

mk

Mine has 155's and will go up any steep muddy or grassy hill's No problem.

jack_see said:

mk

What sort of problem does your's experience 'going up hills' ?

Its just very sluggish going up hills - has a real problem going up anything steep in anything apart from 2nd or 3rd

mk

jack_see said:
Its just very sluggish going up hills - has a real problem going up anything steep in anything apart from 2nd or 3rd

mk
Oh, that's o.k. then...
It's gear configuration is designed to tackle the steepest of slopes in first or second; so if you're doing it in third, you're doing well.:)

cool - probably me just having a job getting used to the small engine. Did any of the old pandas come with a rever meter so I can see how badly I'm screwing the engine as im going up said hills?

mk

jack_see said:
cool - probably me just having a job getting used to the small engine. Did any of the old pandas come with a rever meter so I can see how badly I'm screwing the engine as im going up said hills?

mk

You're probably not screwing it as much as you think ... they are very forgiving engines.
As far as I can ascertain, no Panda's were ever produced with a rev counter. I had one in one of mine, but it must have been an after-sales unit as it was fitted in a little pod under the radio.

pandafan said:
You're probably not screwing it as much as you think ... they are very forgiving engines.
I screwed mine... all it took was extreme negligence :eek:

thanks ppl :worship: - rite i get paid today so i better go shopping - the list grows :cry:

mk

Back