Technical Fiat Doblo 1.3 - Down on power sometimes unless restarted

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Doblo 1.3 - Down on power sometimes unless restarted

JamesDM

Hi,

I have a 1.3 multijet doblo; I can lightly hold the accelerator and get 45-55mpg cruising on the bypass, and then randomly, sometimes I have to put the pedal halfway to keep the same speed, and the MPG is around 18-28mpg max and it feels like it has no power, turbo looks fine spindles aren't damaged on the intake side, no error codes.

I stopped at the garage and turned it off, waited 10 seconds, and back on, and it was back to good MPG and had power, it wasn't a DPF regen as I had already done one about 30 minutes prior to this happening, it happens quite often.

I do have an oil leak from the oil separator/breather on the bottom left side of the engine. It's not bad, but I will need to fix it; aside from this, I can't figure it out, I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter, but I'm not sure what else to check or what else to do; any help would be appreciated.

Also worth mentioning that when accelarating and changing gear you can hear the turbo whistle, however turbo is only 6 months old I suspect a leak or is it normal I can't recall from before I changed it?

Last edited:
You could try that together with a good visual check of hoses and intercooler.

Black smoke from tail pipe when problem occurring?

You could try that together with a good visual check of hoses and intercooler.

Black smoke from tail pipe when problem occurring?

Will do, thanks.

There is no black smoke when idling. It's clear, but sometimes there is black smoke when revving it idle to 3.5k rpm and letting off.

Did you reset the oil degradation counter?
Yeah, reset I noticed the injectors correction is quite different on cylinder 1 and I have 3 different types, do they have to be the same number as the first two on injector 3/4?

I also noticed that my boost pressure is around 90-100mbar lower than the desired boost pressure does this indicate a leak, tested at idle and as i revved it wasn’t hitting the desired boost

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpeg
    IMG_5565.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I’ve just had a similar problem with my 2015 doblo 1.3 multi , loosing power & bad mpg . Firstly diagnosed blocked egr so had that replaced then limp mode again 🙄, boost leak found after a smoke test , found the intercooler was falling apart also the intercooler pipe on the driver’s side where it bolts to the chassis rail was cracked where bracket is welded to the metal section . Its running fine now 👍🏻👍🏻

I’ve just had a similar problem with my 2015 doblo 1.3 multi , loosing power & bad mpg . Firstly diagnosed blocked egr so had that replaced then limp mode again 🙄, boost leak found after a smoke test , found the intercooler was falling apart also the intercooler pipe on the driver’s side where it bolts to the chassis rail was cracked where bracket is welded to the metal section . Its running fine now 👍🏻👍🏻

EGR is on the back of the engine near the battery I think, easy to take off? I can check that; for getting to the intercooler, I guess it's a bumper-off the job, did you buy a smoke tester was looking at getting one or one that fits on the compressor I can use with soapy water

EGR is on the back of the engine near the battery I think, easy to take off? I can check that; for getting to the intercooler, I guess it's a bumper-off the job, did you buy a smoke tester was looking at getting one or one that fits on the compressor I can use with soapy water
I had the mechanic do the work on it . Yeah The egr is on the back of the engine , bit of a fiddly job , he had to remove the bumper to get to the intercooler , I noticed there was oil residue on the bottom of he intercooler from what I could see through the bumper and from underneath 👍🏻

Did you reset the oil degradation counter?

It looks like I also got an oil leak at the back of the engine near the bottom below the oil breather where it goes into the back bottom of the engine, and a bit of exhaust fumes coming from that side; I'm not sure if you have any info on that.

Back