Technical Fiat diesel garage in the midlands

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat diesel garage in the midlands

kuliand

Hi, I've had the engine management light come on a couple of times whilst accelerating hard in 4/5th. Both times I could feel the slight loss of power when the light came on. From what I have read it sounds it is the waste gate getting stuck and 2nd most likely cause is the EGR valve is blocked or on it's way out. Turning the engine on/off a few times clears the light and the engine runs fine at slower speeds or if hard acceleration is avoided.

There any recommended garage people would recommend in the midlands for these kinds of issues?

09, 1.3MJ, 175k miles

Hi, I've had the engine management light come on a couple of times whilst accelerating hard in 4/5th. Both times I could feel the slight loss of power when the light came on. From what I have read it sounds it is the waste gate getting stuck and 2nd most likely cause is the EGR valve is blocked or on it's way out. Turning the engine on/off a few times clears the light and the engine runs fine at slower speeds or if hard acceleration is avoided.

There any recommended garage people would recommend in the midlands for these kinds of issues?

09, 1.3MJ, 175k miles
Just a thought, if yours is the more powerful version with VVT variable vane turbo, they can stick and give similar symptoms (I don't think the base 70Hp version has this) One of my daughters had a Golf GTD 130Hp with VVT, mostly used for town use, no fast driving and hers would drop power after accelerating hard , then throw up and EML light along with error codes about boost pressure etc. I removed a sensor and was able to spray turbo vane cleaner from the accesory shop in according to instructions then worked the lever on the turbo actuator hard until it moved all the way in both directions, it cured the problem , but I also got her to use turbo cleaner additive in every few tanks of diesel.

I had a VW TDI with similar symptoms. It turned out to be failed injector that was throwing diesel into the engine. Common rail is more likely to stop working entirely (d/t low fuel pressure). But worth checking the pump pressure anyway.

I don’t like recommending something I haven’t tried but the

C reader 30001

looks useful, with live data

A few on eBay at around £20 or best offer

No doubt they would comeback with £15 if you went in at say £13.50

Maybe someone could recommend something they use

I use a very cheap £5 Bluetooth dongle an an android phone which is good enough to read basic engine codes (will not work with an iPhone)

I also have an expensive multiplexer and Delphi/WoW.

I use to use multiECUscan with a cheap switched KKL cable and PC but unfortunately fuel trim isn’t present for my model and year car. But it does reliably connect to the airbag module

Right I have now got a fault code reader (the C30001). There's two codes logged 'P0238 Sensor A circuit high' and U1602.

Thanks koalas for the advice on the code reader.

that good I think

I am ignoring the U1602 at the moment CAN Bus do glitch every now and again along with immobiliser and so on

P0238 isn’t the normal over pressure from the waste gate

Circuit high faults are normally a wire or sensor

It’s not a code I have seen. Leave it with me.

Hope a MJet expert will come along in the mean time

We should be able to diagnose this before touching anything via the live data

Just need someone with more MJet experience to pop along

Stolen from the internet

What are the common causes of code P0238 ?​

Some common causes of P0238 could include the following-

• Damaged, burnt, shorted, disconnected, or corroded wiring and/or connectors
  • Defective MAP or boost control sensor
  • Damaged, split, dislodged, hardened, or perished vacuum lines if the boost control system is vacuum operated
  • Defective vacuum actuator or check valve(s) if the boost control system is vacuum operated
  • Mechanical failure of the waste gate mechanism
  • Failed or failing PCM. Note that this is a rare event, and the fault must be sought elsewhere before any controller is replaced.
  • In some cases, clogged or even partially clogged catalytic converters and/or mufflers can prevent or inhibit the free flow of exhaust gas, which can cause over boost conditions to develop at high engine speeds
NOTE: As stated elsewhere, issues such as leaking exhaust manifold gaskets or damage to the turbine or compressor wheel (or both) are more likely to produce under boost conditions than over boost conditions.

Last edited:
Right I have now got a fault code reader (the C30001). There's two codes logged 'P0238 Sensor A circuit high' and U1602.

Thanks koalas for the advice on the code reader.
I had P0238 a couple of weeks ago.

Tried the wastegate actuator, and it moved fine with a long bar (try this first anyway, its free and takes less than 5 minutes).

The problem was the small black plastic/rubber hose that goes from the actuator to the turbo. It was blocked solid, so wouldn't allow the air to pass to the wastegate. Got a new piece of hose, 2 small jubilee clips, all sorted.

Attachments

• 301088975_10228575692367136_2851905532285667611_n.jpg
    301088975_10228575692367136_2851905532285667611_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 19
I was hopping a diesel expert would have chimed in by now

As a start you can get a rough idea if the MAP sensor is working

Type in to google something like

Atmospheric pressure “your town”

Should come back with something like

Today's Weather
The visibility is going to be around 10 km i.e. 5 miles and an atmospheric pressure of 1004 mb

Then check how it compares with the live data

Tried the wastegate actuator, and it moved fine with a long bar (try this first anyway, its free and takes less than 5 minutes).

The problem was the small black plastic/rubber hose that goes from the actuator to the turbo. It was blocked solid, so wouldn't allow the air to pass to the wastegate. Got a new piece of hose, 2 small jubilee clips, all sorted.
Cool

Here’s the original thread

So at least two cars have had a blocked pipe

Thanks, Something else for me to check. I've got a Haynes manual so will take a look at how easy it is to access the turbo.

Today's Weather
The visibility is going to be around 10 km i.e. 5 miles and an atmospheric pressure of 1004 mb

I wouldn't have thought of doing that so I will try this tomorrow and see what I find.

Today's Weather

So the local pressure was 1000.34 hPa and 960 hPa on the MAP live data read. That seems fairly close? or should they be closer?

Car passed it's MOT today which is great news. I'll see if I can get to the hoses to check and see if the wastegate actuator moves and then maybe I will have to take it to a garage but at least I have an error code to give them.

Back