Tuning Fiat Cinq Question

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiat Cinq Question

Crushed

Is it possible to fit an Uno Turbo engine into a Cinq, and if so do you guys know anyone that could carry this out, if not can anyone sugest a good engine transplant, this 1.1 power is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Hello mate

This topic has been mentioned many times, it be a good idea to use the search function for some more depth info.
quick briefing on engines.

1. uno turbo engine can be done but not worth it as it effects the handling of the car and basically a lot of trouble, time, money and effort to install. a better option is...

1.if you want to have a turbo is upgrade your existing 1.1 to a turbo.

2. install a 1242 8v fire engine...by far the easiest engine upgrade (apart from upgrade the 1.1 you have now), have a look on the FAQ (engine swap)

3. 1242 8v fire engine with a turbo

3. a few people have installed a 1.2 16v engine

4. or a 1348 16v engine (arc & kritip have very good thread on it) engine from a fiat stilo

As i said have a look on the search for more depth in these engine conversion..
Hope that helped

Mustard

Last edited:
Yes great help, i have just searched for the 1.1 turbo conv but not having any luck probably my search terms, any idea on the cost of this..

thanks

Yes great help, i have just searched for the 1.1 turbo conv but not having any luck probably my search terms, any idea on the cost of this..

thanks

Unfortunately i can't tell you how much it will cost as i have never done the conversion but all i know is that it is not cheap. There are quite a few who has carried out this conversion should be able to give you an idea of how much and what to do.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum (unless you are a dreamer then chuff off and buy a Saxo)

Look in the FAQ's

if you can do it yourself and fabricate the bits, build your own ECU and own a decent car with upgraded suspension brakes etc to convert, you should be able to do a half decent one for £1500. If not forget it and either wait for a turbo to come up for sale (decent ones are rare as rocking horse sh*t) or buy a faster car

Edit: when my car was converted 10 years ago by a previous owner (to a much lower std than it is now) the bill was over £3,200 so if you take into account inflation £10K or tell you what I'll do you a deal you can have mine for £5K

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum (unless you are a dreamer then chuff off and buy a Saxo)

You truley dont understand how much i hate Saxo's, i love seing them on the back of tow trucks dieing a slow death.

Look in the faq's

Ill be honest and say i am new to the forums and didnt even know there was any :). however now i have found them, ill be taking a look.

if you can do it yourself and fabricate the bits, build your own ECU and own a decent car with upgraded suspension brakes etc to convert, you should be able to do a half decent one for £1500. If not forget it and either wait for a turbo to come up for sale (decent ones are rare as rocking horse sh*t) or buy a faster car

Im not great on welding :), but i do know a few mates that happen to be very good indeed. so i think ill be looking into this.

Edit: when my car was converted 10 years ago by a previous owner (to a much lower std than it is now) the bill was over £3,200 so if you take into account inflation £10K or tell you what I'll do you a deal you can have mine for £5K

Its not as much fun buying a car that is already done, although can work out a hell of a lot cheaper. im not a dreamer this will be my second Custom Car after some one decided to take mine for a spin and then setting it alight over my local field, this time security will be a big part of my funding :), i still dont know if to go for a turbo conversion or just go for a bigger engine, just doing a little reaserch at the moment :). im not the kind of person whome spends £££ on a conversion to find out it was pointless.

thanks

Last edited:
do you own a cento now? what is done so far?
IMHO you should get a cento(if you dont own one) upgrade everything (braided hose UT/GT brakes, suspention, strut brace....)
Then decide on what is going to control the car once turboed, if going custom ECU, fit it now and get used to it/make sure its reliable, the last thing you want once its turbed is ecu niggles.

then start buying stuff. make sure you get a new turbo not a used one. not worth the hassle, the turbo we use is from a diesel. if you fir a used one and it turns out to of had a hard life, the high stesses it will have in its new home might end with your engine sucking remains of the compressor

Personally -- and if money no object -- I'd avoid the GT15 altogether. But see no harm in buying a s/h one and checking it/getting it checked.

But fitting a 1.4 16v is (much) more practical and cheaper (perhaps 2 or 2.5 k cheaper!) -- it'll never be quite the fun a turbo is, but it'll not burn huge holes in your pocket either.

If you're really into pain, the same kind of budget would probably put the 500 Abarth SS engine in a Cinq...............

do you own a cento now? what is done so far?
IMHO you should get a cento(if you dont own one) upgrade everything (braided hose UT/GT brakes, suspention, strut brace....)
Then decide on what is going to control the car once turboed, if going custom ECU, fit it now and get used to it/make sure its reliable, the last thing you want once its turbed is ecu niggles.

then start buying stuff. make sure you get a new turbo not a used one. not worth the hassle, the turbo we use is from a diesel. if you fir a used one and it turns out to of had a hard life, the high stesses it will have in its new home might end with your engine sucking remains of the compressor

Yes just got me a P reg Yellow Cinq Sorting, completely standerd at the moment only thing i havedone is changed the clutch and added an alarm system.

at the moment i am thinking wich way to go with it, so i know where to start. im thinking custom everything, i.e Custom Bumpers etc etc etc. but then i keep thinking to myself ive already done that so shall i go over the top everything in huge quantaties, or should i stay suttle and elegent mods, splitter kit alloys etc. my main thoughts at the moment are concentrated on the engine what should i do.

anyways looking forward to making up my mind and getting started :).

Personally -- and if money no object -- I'd avoid the GT15 altogether. But see no harm in buying a s/h one and checking it/getting it checked.

But fitting a 1.4 16v is (much) more practical and cheaper (perhaps 2 or 2.5 k cheaper!) -- it'll never be quite the fun a turbo is, but it'll not burn huge holes in your pocket either.

If you're really into pain, the same kind of budget would probably put the 500 Abarth SS engine in a Cinq...............

Money is always an object but i dont do cutting corners ( Well most the time, i have some storys on that ), im in to minds on wether to go turbo or get a bigger engine,

and after reading about these it seems like a little much for me to take on by myself so i think i may be looking for some one to do this for me, wich then makes it about money as i need some left over for the rest of the car :)..

does anyone know of someone able to do these sort of conversions, i can then have a chat and see what comes out best :)

my main thoughts at the moment are concentrated on the engine what should i do.
No, the first thing you want to do is get the running gear sorted out properly, except the spring/dampers at this point, & once that's done you can look into what wheels you want to run. 13" to 16" are viable with anything over 15" requiring relatively minor modifications to fit properly. With the wheel size decided you then decided on your ride height, around -40mm (relative to 165/55R13 wheels) is about perfect for general road & track use, lower than that causes problems with heavily 'traffic calmed' areas as well as front suspension geometry.

With wheels & suspension sorted you then move on to your brakes, if you've got 14" or larger wheels then the PGT setup is a powerful setup delivering very good performance on a small budget & it's the simplest way forwards, however wilwood & brembo callipers along with motorsport discs can be easily made to fit if you wish to go for something a little more bespoke. Once this is done start to look at the engine!

No, the first thing you want to do is get the running gear sorted out properly, except the spring/dampers at this point, & once that's done you can look into what wheels you want to run. 13" to 16" are viable with anything over 15" requiring relatively minor modifications to fit properly. With the wheel size decided you then decided on your ride height, around -40mm (relative to 165/55R13 wheels) is about perfect for general road & track use, lower than that causes problems with heavily 'traffic calmed' areas as well as front suspension geometry.

With wheels & suspension sorted you then move on to your brakes, if you've got 14" or larger wheels then the PGT setup is a powerful setup delivering very good performance on a small budget & it's the simplest way forwards, however wilwood & brembo callipers along with motorsport discs can be easily made to fit if you wish to go for something a little more bespoke. Once this is done start to look at the engine!

The reason i am thinking about engine first is so i know how big i want my wheels, as 13" with anything over 120bhp are just going to be spinning fun, i also need to know roughly how heavy my transplant is gonna be so as i know what spec suspension to go for, not sure what brakes to go for as im unsure as to what size wheels im going to go for, so as you can tell we both go about it in different ways but both make sence :). i will say that once i know what is happening with the engine, then the running gear will be installed first.

i keep sitting here thinking what shall i do grrrrrr

Well I was talking about installing more than planning but you've got to drive the car to feel it, which is why I suggest that route. As for output, bhp ain't much of a problem in a 'cento if you're making big power from high rpm but loads of torque will cause problems for the chassis & require the larger wheels. Once you've decided on N/A or forced induction a ball park power figure is all you need to start speccing most of the car. If you're really wanting to do things properly you need something like AVO coilovers, the cheapest adjustable 'coilovers' iirc. Once you're dealing with 1.9" or 2.25" springs engine weight, within reason, is just the change of £30 a pair springs.

If you're not constrained by torque wheel size is more mid-corner traction v's agility/adjustability, the larger the wheels the less agile & adjustable the car but the better apex to exit traction you have. Going wider pushes up the grip level overall & power deployment can be changed by changes to the final drive ratio.

The brakes, I'd go for PGT callipers & discs, requires 14" rims, with up to around 150bhp & beyond that something based around competition brakes, easiest & cheapest to get hold of are Wilwood Powerlites/Midilites, they also do good discs & you'll then need custom bells & calliper mounts both of which are a piece of pi$$ to make if you can or have a friend who can machine 7075-T6 ally.

i keep sitting here thinking what shall i do grrrrrr

You know something, I own probably the most powerful 1.1 Cinq in the country and don't get me wrong it is a absolute hoot! but at over 1 Bar of boost it is sh*t scary but burning more expensive machinary off the road makes that bearable. You do live with lots of downsides for a few moments of fun

In terms of usability if i want to go somewhere in a hurry i jump straight into my Pug, I get there faster, more economically and in much more comfort with no trouser filling action and still leave more exotic machinery behind

Or as my wife eloquently put it, the Hi Boost turbo is the crack cocaine of Cento's everything else is just marijuana

What is your turbo making at the wheels these days? I'm making about 160whp near the 7200 marker & a little under 145lbft (wheel) in the low-4000s.

What is your turbo making at the wheels these days? I'm making about 160whp near the 7200 marker & a little under 145lbft (wheel) in the low-4000s.

feck! Wish i knew the output of mine! think ill do a few hundred miles and keep and eye on the compression and if all looks good ill get it on the dyno for a tune up and a power graph (y)

Well as it has done nothing but break recently it hasn't been on the rollers since it's 134 / 135 run and I suspect when it did that the head gasket was going and the cat was half collapsed :mad: but since fixing everything it is stronger than ever but it's ripping the hell out of my new Rainsports at anything over 0.5bar
it won't be going anywhere near a RR any time as soon though as I'm fancying a change this year so don't want to stress it

Back