Fiat Bravo -97 - Where airbag ECU socket?

Currently reading:
Fiat Bravo -97 - Where airbag ECU socket?

J

jaheni

Hello! Anyone know for sure where is the socket to plug in the diagnostic tool for airbag ECU?

Many say its somewhere behind the passenger side glove box, but on Bravo SX R-reg, its n o t... Ripped of the whol glove box and all panels but theres nothing. Looked for it with 2 mechanics with no luck!

Someone said its though near the ECU unit in the central console, is it true? To me looks bit tricky to have the whole central console removed... worth it?

Thanks guys!

airbag ecu socket

This is for 1998 Bravo it may help

ABSSOCKET.jpg

USER BEWARE USE AT OWN RISK

still need airbag ecu socket location

Thanks for the drawing, but it doesnt show where the Ecu unit for airbag is... sorry!!! Desperately need it still.

Anyone help?

Had a third check around the back of the glove comp. but nothing... its weird. Thought should be easily accessible!

Airbag ecu

Have a look at this

airbagrcontrolunitno1.jpg

airboxcontrolunita.jpg

USER BEWARE USE AT OWN RISK

Still cant find it!

It seems my Bravo being -97 model, is different. Its not were these images say it is.(Thanks for the drawings though!=

Anyone knows where the diagnostic socket for airbag Ecu is on Bravo -97?

Are you sure the airbag ecu isn't on the floor directly underneath the centre console?

On my Bravo MK1, Brava MK1 and MK2 and Marea MK1 they've all been roughly underneath the ashtray bolted to the floor.

Their location is slightly annoying because if your heater matrix leaks, it will kill the ecu (liquid drips down onto it).

edit: Access is easy. Just remove the access panel in the passenger footwell.

insybrava3.jpg

Mar '99 1.9TD / 45,500 miles
Current Status: Oddly enough, alright!

No socket!

Hi guys and thanks for your comments.

Searched through everything today. Looked at the ECU which is fastened to the floor, however there is only ONE lead coming out from it, one yellow lead going straight up to the airbag in the steering wheel. Theres no other lead coming out from any side of it... HOW DO YOU RESET this?!?
Anyone experience? There must be a way to do it.... :(

I dont want to offend you, since people recently seem to get the wrong end of the stick on here, but Fiat can only reset the airbag ECU unless you have a special diag machine.

This is a very common fault aswell. I also believe AngelTuning.co.uk one of the sites sponsers can reset the airbag relatively cheap.

BannerX.jpg

So Good, Fiat Want It Back!

hi

I called Fiat dealer earlier... they said can do the reset, but they need the socket. As there is no socket... have no idea what do next!

The garage Im using now are specialiced in Fiats and have the right diagnostic tool to do it, but even they are wondering where the socket is...

Airbag

Wondering what to do next....here's what I did.

The Airbag ECU runs a test at car start-up which is voltage based. If it gets the wrong result the airbag light comes on at the dash, and is locked on until reset via the correct diagnostic kit.

The airbag light is prone to coming on 'incorrectly' after a jump start or a new battery. My understanding is the airbag should still work in the event of a crash, though I haven't tried this out.

A reset will typically cost you one hours labour if no major components need replaced. However, if the light coming on was ONLY caused by a chance incorrect start up test producing the wrong voltage, you're going to end up going back again (and possibly again) to get the light extinguished.

So I took the dash apart and blocked the LED that illuminated the warning. Is that wise? Maybe not in the unlikely event of an actual airbag system malfunction. However, given the market value of a 1998 Fiat it's probably marginally wiser that repeated payments to the motor trade to fix an unsolvable problem.

Just drive like you have no airbag. It's kind of a reflection on one of my favourite philosophies......all cars should have a sharp spike extending 1 foot from the centre of the cars steering wheel towards the drivers forehead. Road casualties among all users would drop!

Dunno about the cable/socket, but:

1. If the AirBag light is on, the airbag is OFF, it is turned off nd it wont work.

2. The diag check will say what the problem was (in most cases its when ppl remove one or more connectors from the dash or air bag ECU, so whe the tast is done, some components are missing)

Will dig a bit more on the socket subject laters

sven3.jpg

Members Site