500 Fiat 500 Twinair 85 vs 105

Currently reading:
500 Fiat 500 Twinair 85 vs 105

mhaqq

Hello, new here and I am on the market for a used Twinair (2016+) but not sure how you can tell the 85 and the 105bhp apart if it's not stated.

Is it that the 105 is always 6 speed and 85 always 5 speed? Is that true and the only thing to tell them apart, aside from maybe looking up the model?

If so, (and pardon if this is a stupid question), are the gear ratios the same on both models up to 5th gear, but the 6 speed just has that one extra for when you hit that speed? Or are they different and the 6 speed needs more shifts/clutch work through lower gears? I'm wondering about the extra wear and tear in the long run, and whether it would be extra hassle for the 6 speed repairs, or just a little bit more and it's still worth it because it's possibly more fun?

I think the 85 would still be fine for my use case, but I already went to see a twinair at a dealer who said it was 105, before I was aware of this, and I am 99% sure it was 5 speed, so I can't be sure anything else he says would be true.

Thanks in advance

My twinairs have the BHP printed on the ECU sticker..
I have only had 85's

105 can have premature wear.. overstressing components

Twinair advice :

Service history is Very Important

No service history..reduce cost for @€2,000 in parts it might need

Injector unit and Turbo , they can use LOTS of oil too - it is expensive!

My twinairs have the BHP printed on the ECU sticker..
I have only had 85's

105 can have premature wear.. overstressing components

Twinair advice :

Service history is Very Important

Thank you for the reply and appreciate any advice at this point.

And remember also the number of posts we've seen from owners with failed DMF's (by 2016, both 85 & 105 HP TA's have them); clutch replacement can be needed anytime after around 40000 miles (obviously driving style dependent) and if the DMF also needs replacing, you likely won't have much change out of £1000.

Unlike the essentially bulletproof 1.2, the TA isn't a car that's tolerant of either neglected servicing or unsympathetic driving. Buying a secondhand TA is basically a gamble, since there's little you can do to find out how it's been driven. As has been said, a full documented service history (not just stamps in a service book) is pretty much essential.

And if having to spend another 2k on first year repairs which wouldn't be covered by most used car warranties would cause you hardship, I'd advise you to forget about a TA. You might well not have to spend this, but there's little you can do to be certain you won't.

I'm not saying the TA is a bad car - there are plenty of folks here who think they're great and have run them for many miles with no issues - just that they're a relatively risky secondhand purchase. The high cost of some TA-specific parts means folks will often trade them in at the first sign of any issues; you need to remember that the previous owner of the car you're considering buying may have done just that. And trade sellers - even franchised dealers - are adept at patching up cars needing expensive repairs to keep them going until the end of any warranty period.

Last edited:
And remember also the number of posts we've seen from owners with failed DMF's (by 2016, both 85 & 105 HP TA's have them); clutch replacement can be needed anytime after around 40000 miles (obviously driving style dependent) and if the DMF also needs replacing, you likely won't have much change out of £1000.

Unlike the essentially bulletproof 1.2, the TA isn't a car that's tolerant of either neglected servicing or unsympathetic driving. Buying a secondhand TA is basically a gamble, since there's little you can do to find out how it's been driven. As has been said, a full documented service history (not just stamps in a service book) is pretty much essential.

And if having to spend another 2k on first year repairs which wouldn't be covered by most used car warranties would cause you hardship, I'd advise you to forget about a TA. You might well not have to spend this, but there's little you can do to be certain you won't.

I'm not saying the TA is a bad car - there are plenty of folks here who think they're great and have run them for many miles with no issues - just that they're a relatively risky secondhand purchase. The high cost of some TA-specific parts means folks will often trade them in at the first sign of any issues; you need to remember that the previous owner of the car you're considering buying may have done just that. And trade sellers - even franchised dealers - are adept at patching up cars needing expensive repairs to keep them going until the end of any warranty period.
Thank you, I'll have to look up those issues for more details. I did come across a 3 or 4 year old with 2 previous owners that I thought was strange. Could be anything but what you point out is good to know. ( It was an online website I went through for idea).

I was actually after a 1.2L and didn't really know the difference. I went to see one but I did not really like the drive and thought it needed just a tad more power for my liking, and felt a bit disappointed. But I am starting to think it may have been that particular one - decent condition, a bit high mileage (I don't expect it to be a rocket, just smooth enough for what it is). I'll have to go back to the drawing board, or leave it for when I am more comfortable with the upkeep, I just don't want to deal with issues first year, as you mentioned.

Thanks again

If memory serves me right, 85 is a 5 speed, 105 a 6 speed. Also a 6 speed box will have closer ratios that will result in more shifts, but probably fun to drive. My Mk1 Golf GTI came with a 5 speed close ratio box as a factory option and is more fun than my friends' 5 speed with a standard box, same engines. So having 6 on the Fiat makes me think it's fun unless you prefer an auto, which I hate :)

Back