Technical Fiat 500 engine light & diagnostics

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 engine light & diagnostics

Danoid

Hello,

Had a call from the wife during or after a gear change the car felt sluggish then the check engine light came on, stopped the car, turned it off and all is well apart from the engine light is still on.

I’m guessing at a minimum either leads or coil pack, but that’s guessing which brings me into my next question.

If I download multiecu which is free I believe what cables do I need?

I saw these but not sure if overkill as there’s more than 1 cable https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCBL.html

Will these do or are there better ones to get?

Thanks

Edit, it lost power then picked up again, so something obviously intermittent but scanning is the way to go

Edit again, those cables don’t have a usb end, so no idea what I need.

Why is fiat stuff so awkward :D

I’ve been watching videos and can see people who have the coloured cables but plug in a different cable “elm?” then load up multiecu and never actually use the coloured cables, so I’m very lost are they not actually needed?

Hi, so what does the yellow cable do? If I can just buy an elm adapter that’ll do nicely

You can run Multiecuscan without leads in a simulation mode to see what leads are needed and get a feel for the software. from memory you only need the ELM lead and yellow adaptor to scan all fiat 500 ECU's pre 2017.

Hello,

Had a call from the wife during or after a gear change the car felt sluggish then the check engine light came on, stopped the car, turned it off and all is well apart from the engine light is still on.

I’m guessing at a minimum either leads or coil pack, but that’s guessing which brings me into my next question.

If I download multiecu which is free I believe what cables do I need?

I saw these but not sure if overkill as there’s more than 1 cable https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCBL.html

Will these do or are there better ones to get?

Thanks
What year is the car? Is it a 1.2 engine? The multiecuscan you need is the registered version direct from the multiecuscan website
As for the cables … the yellow adapter is for body computer ect but no adapter needed to read engine codes just the elm cable itself..

Check engine earth strap condition … gearbox to chassis it’s under the battery tray

It’s for a 1.2 2009, I bought a edasion one from Amazon which is arriving tomorrow, I’ll let you know how it goes

I thought the free version of multiecuscan would cover my needs of scanning and clearing?

Last year I lubed the clutch slave cylinder and had a look at the earth strap whilst I was there and it appeared to be in good condition so not sure it’s that or sparks which I changed last year too

It’s for a 1.2 2009, I bought a edasion one from Amazon which is arriving tomorrow, I’ll let you know how it goes

I thought the free version of multiecuscan would cover my needs of scanning and clearing?
Not sure as I’ve never used the free version but I do know it’s limited in capabilities
Definitely check that engine earth strap to see it it’s the original.. on an 09 car I’d expect corrosion

okay so the reader I bought doesn’t work, it’s a Bluetooth one and I can connect to it and that’s it.

Can you tell me what readers you are using?

Thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I bought this yesterday which arrived today and as rubbish Amazon product ASIN B07CP632CL as nothing seemed to work.

That link you provided up there, is that one you've used? I forgot how bad some of these sellers can be selling odb stuff with no way of downloading software/drivers and thats the mistake I made today :(

If that one you posted works, then i'll grab that :D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I bought this yesterday which arrived today and as rubbish Amazon product ASIN B07CP632CL as nothing seemed to work.

That link you provided up there, is that one you've used? I forgot how bad some of these sellers can be selling odb stuff with no way of downloading software/drivers and thats the mistake I made today :(

If that one you posted works, then i'll grab that :D
The one you bought is a Bluetooth & they are notorious for not working! The link I posted is a set of cables (no Bluetooth) you use them via your laptop with the multiecuscan software

Back