Technical Fiat 500 Cult - Some Problems...

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 Cult - Some Problems...

Clutch pedal return spring?

If this was solely what was causing the pedal to stick down then the OP would be able to select gears but wouldn't be able to get drive as the clutch would be permenantly disengaged. However, although I am not intimately familiar with the 500's clutch system I think the clutch itself would lift the pedal and the clutch pedal spring is there to maintain a clearance between the pushrod and plunger.

What this sounds like to me, as mentioned above, is a hydraulic fault; probably a seal fault inside one of the cylinders; I wonder if the master cylinder piston seal had "flipped", allowing the pedal to travel to the bottom without disengaging the clutch and then getting stuck down (as the seal was reversed) and perhaps pulling the pedal back up flipped the seal back. OP, you really should look at getting this sorted next time it happens as a consquential failure may not be covered by your warranty.

When it comes to faults like this within warranty my advice is always to just "play dumb"- in the first instance don't try and investigate it/fiddle with it/fix it yourself; just take it/have it towed to the dealer and say "fix this". Of course, be as helpful and descriptive about the problem as you can.

Last edited:
Back