General fiat 500 braking problem -BEWARE

Currently reading:
General fiat 500 braking problem -BEWARE

Re: fiat 500 breaking problem -BEWARE

Chris

I looked at this last night, and you must have had a passenger with very long legs. But as you say, it is possible.

John

Yep My daughters boyfreind - a lanky git with big feet, it didn't help that she was in the back so the seat was further forward than normal.

C.

It'll be very interesting to see how Fiat deal with this potentially very dangerous design shortcoming. RHD conversion seems to have always been a problem which has given Fiat their bad reputation in this country (In my experience the notoroius breaking clutch cables and bad routing speedo cables in the Cinquecento)

Do we have to wait before someone is seroiusly killed or injured and say, Watchdog get on the case?

Last edited:

Thankfully the wifes legs are too short to reach that far!!!!!!!!

I was wondering, sureley it must be the same on the Panda.

Looked at my Panda and can confirm it is the same! :eek:

Bugger me, I'm 6'2" and am in the passenger seat 95% of the time. Guess I'll keep my feet curled up.

The irony is, I was telling the missus about a bloke on another forum taking the Mick out of his mum for "passenger braking" today. :)

big problem my new 500 95 bhp when braking hard the rear end( back)
lifts off the road yes the passenger can also brake with long legs in the footwell??(n)

big problem my new 500 95 bhp when braking hard the rear end( back)
lifts off the road yes the passenger can also brake with long legs in the footwell??(n)

I don't get what you're trying to say? Are you saying that when you brake hard the nose dives? I very much doubt the rear wheels are lifting off the ground. Is this actually anything to do with this supposed fault with the 500 which has killed MILLIONS of people so far?

To the OP - having read the rest of the thread I would suggest you take your car back to the dealer and explain the issue you've had.

It's not something that is common at all with most 500 drivers, but you don't want to be messing around with the brakes!:eek:

Oh and by the way - come on Maxi, ease up off the sarcasm matey!(y)

To the OP - having read the rest of the thread I would suggest you take your car back to the dealer and explain the issue you've had.

It's not something that is common at all with most 500 drivers, but you don't want to be messing around with the brakes!:eek:

Oh and by the way - come on Maxi, ease up off the sarcasm matey!(y)

But the issue that he's explaining seems to have nothing to do with the thread?

True - but at least it shows he used the search function...
True :) It might not seem like it but I was trying to find out what the actual fault is that he's having as it doesn't seem to describe the supposed fault that this thread is talking about :)

True :) It might not seem like it but I was trying to find out what the actual fault is that he's having as it doesn't seem to describe the supposed fault that this thread is talking about :)

I have to say that I would have thought that the only way to get the rear wheels to actually lift off the road under braking would be to use an oak tree (or similar) as a brake.

But the issue that he's explaining seems to have nothing to do with the thread?

Agree that's true for the first part (no idea what is causing that), but the second part re passengers being able to brake is linked to this thread.

Like I said though, it doesn't appear to be a common issue albeit one that is at least known of.

Anyway, maybe the OP will be back on later to clarify...

I have to say that I would have thought that the only way to get the rear wheels to actually lift off the road under braking would be to use an oak tree (or similar) as a brake.

Agreed. That's why I asked if he was complaining about the nose driving under braking. if so I reckon it's just a function of the front suspension geometry which makes the nose dive. In our Subaru for instance the suspension geometry is such that the car brakes very flat and doesn't dip the nose as much.

Back