General Fiat 500 1.4 sport steering clunking?!

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 1.4 sport steering clunking?!

Shawnee29

Once again experiencing more problems with my 57 plate fiat 500. Having spent nearly a grand on new brake pads discs calipers shock absorbers around the car, today it has developed a clunking noise when turning the steering wheel in any direction - only noticeable when car has slowed down to park

It's like a clunking / grinding gear - sounds awful.
It's electric power steering so iv read there's no power steering fluid needed - any ideas what this could be and how much in looking to pay out for this time? This car seems to be a curse, really considering part exchanging after this next fault is sorted!!!

My 51 plate mk2 Punto does this, only to the left though. Whatever speed I'm going, even a slight touch to the left it sounds like something is rubbing/grinding on my driver side wheel. If u get any answers, I'd like to know too :/

It seems to have come on all of a sudden but sounds awful, it's booked in to the garage Thursday for a service so I'm not going to drive it until then as I'm frightened I'm going to damage something :-(

Does it do it when you move the wheel and the car is stationary, or only when the car is moving, or both?

Just went back out and checked and it does it both when stationary and moving

It's just when moving, not when sitting still. I've tried looking, and my bf has jacked it up and looked but can't see anything..

Ah ok. Not sure what that means - I am a mechanical half wit (quarter wit probably) but it might help someone else come up with an idea. Although JRK is probably right - he usually is.

Thank you!
I think it's time I part exchanged I have a feeling its going to be problem after
Problem with this car :-(

Diagnosis by internet forum is always dangerous but it could be the CV joint in the driveshaft. Not hugely expensive so fingers crossed.

Absolutely clueless about cars but does the CV joint have anything to do with brakes or could of been interfered with or damaged when I had the new discs/calipers/ shocks fitted? Just curious due to having work done two weeks ago and now this has happened.

Could be anything, could be strut top mounts, balljoints etc etc. Go somewhere that's not going to bend you over and fist you.

Could be anything, could be strut top mounts, balljoints etc etc. Go somewhere that's not going to bend you over and fist you.

:yeahthat:, although

...due to having work done two weeks ago and now this has happened.

is suggestive of work not being done correctly and something having worked loose. It may only be a bolt that needs tightening; my suggestion would be to take it back to the garage that carried out the work.

Some of the possible causes could make the car dangerous to drive; I'd advise you not to go very far in it until it has been checked over by a competent professional.

If you've lost all trust in the first garage, one good way to get it diagnosed by a competent professional would be to take the car for an MOT. For about £35, this will give you peace of mind that the car has been safely repaired, and you'll also have written evidence of any faults, should you want to take it further with the original garage.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help! Had it checked over today and i need new top mounts - so will be getting that sorted then sadly will be sending it to be part x, have never had so many problems in such a short space of time!
Also got recommended to have timing belt changed.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy with it. As a 57 plate car it must be heading for six years old.

What you have had done in that time (new brake pads discs calipers shock absorbers) does not seem surprising (apart from the shocks perhaps). Spending £1,000 on maintenance in that time does not seem excessive to me although I suspect you might have had the brakes done by a Fiat dealer which probably meant to paid over the odds.

My cars prior to our 500 were 4-6 year old Mercs mainly and I used to pay about a grand a year on those to keep them on the road.

I don't see why you are getting rid, you simply paid too much to get the work done, it can happen with any car.

i have a pair of top mounts looking at me right now from a shelf, they cost about 30 quid each. Labour should be perhaps 60-80 at the very most.

Shawnee, let us know what happens. Again, I would like to reiterate that the problems you've had could happen to any car, the cost is the problem, but if you approached a more reasonable garage or asked for advice on here then it would have been cheaper.

If you chop your car in for a new <insert name of other car here> and then go to the dealership when you've got an issue and pay whatever they ask, then it's going to be expensive.

You got ripped off, that's not the cars problem :)

Back