Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Misfire.. EM light at high speeds.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Misfire.. EM light at high speeds.

It may well be out of warranty but if you had the car in a fiat dealer you have a really good chance of getting a good will contribution from fiat if it's warranty has only just expired. Sometimes they would pay the entire amount especially if you complain enough but very often would do 50% off parts and labor. Probably better off at a main dealer anyway

It may well be out of warranty but if you had the car in a fiat dealer you have a really good chance of getting a good will contribution from fiat if it's warranty has only just expired. Sometimes they would pay the entire amount especially if you complain enough but very often would do 50% off parts and labor. Probably better off at a main dealer anyway

Ooh I'll look into this then.. would be a massive help. Thanks for making me aware of this! :)

I always used to encourage customers to open up a customer care case and most of the time they at least ended up paying 50% towards the cost but the car needed to be at a dealer to qualify for it

Did you contact the Fiat garage when it first started and was it still in warranty at that point even if it's now expired ?
I've been enquiring about this.. it may very well be able to be looked at/fixed as if under warranty as the problem was reported whilst it was still in warranty... fingers crossed!!

Yes i do. An i cant find the fault. Spend 4days working on the car now

The car have this codes P300 an P303
put a new ingition coil an leads an sparkplugs

but it is still misfirring at idle an if i rev it up to times then
the engine fault lamp turn on an codes are P 300 / p303

Did you ever find the fault ?

Hi! I had a faulty injector, they were tested quite early on and no fault was found but as the problem got worse, they were re tested and then one presented as faulty. This stopped my EM light coming on and stopped the chugging.. finally! However there is still a slight misfire on it. It’s not causing me any problems though and it’s not failed an MOT thus far. Not sure if that will help you at all, hope it does :)

Mine injectors have Been testet to , an i have one from a autobraker , but perhabs they are still not okay. I wil have one more look at Them to morrow.

Thanks for the reply

Mine injectors have Been testet to , an i have one from a autobraker , but perhabs they are still not okay. I wil have one more look at Them to morrow.

Thanks for the reply

No problem, I hope you get some joy. Annoying as it didn’t come up directly as a fault on the diagnostic, I had to go around the houses! Good luck :)

i found the fault now.

there was fittet Bosch sparksplugs the correkt type for the car. driven 6000km

but then i put 4 new NGK sparksplugs from Fiat today in it an now i runs with out any misfire at all

I bought a Fiat 500L for £6k with only 13k on the clock. BARGAIN! I thought. I now realise I have the problem of the misfire at high speed and then the feeling of dragging four dead elephants behind my car. Great fun in the fast lane! Replacement coil pack and spark plugs cost me £600+ at a Fiat garage in central London and still did not fix the problem.
My warning comes with engine light coming on, then the stop start icon flashing with an ! and the words ‘Stop & Start unavailable’ in the central console under the speed gauge. this never happens in town, only on motorways. I am now gong to have the plug leads replaced but obviously the only way to test is to take my life in my hands and go speeding down the motorway!
Interesting to see the remarks about the ECU, cost wise I don't mind paying to feel safe in my car on long journeys as the husband does not like driving me to Wales. (n)

Last edited:
I bought a Fiat 500L for £6k with only 13k on the clock. BARGAIN! I thought. I now realise I have the problem of the misfire at high speed and then the feeling of dragging four dead elephants behind my car. Great fun in the fast lane! Replacement coil pack and spark plugs cost me £600+ at a Fiat garage in central London and still did not fix the problem.
My warning comes with engine light coming on, then the stop start icon flashing with an ! and the words ‘Stop & Start unavailable’ in the central console under the speed gauge. this never happens in town, only on motorways. I am now gong to have the plug leads replaced but obviously the only way to test is to take my life in my hands and go speeding down the motorway!
Interesting to see the remarks about the ECU, cost wise I don't mind paying to feel safe in my car on long journeys as the husband does not like driving me to Wales. (n)

£600 and no fix..

Did you actually pay for this poor diagnosis?

Is it a twinair motor.. or a bigger petrol?

Charlie. Abertillery

Hi Charlie, thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I did pay for this diagnosis and ‘repair’ because they said it was repaired! The only way of knowing that it wasn’t was when I almost got splatted on the A3 and forced onto the grass veg by a white van. The car is a 1.2 petrol.

Hi Charlie, thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I did pay for this diagnosis and ‘repair’ because they said it was repaired! The only way of knowing that it wasn’t was when I almost got splatted on the A3 and forced onto the grass veg by a white van. The car is a 1.2 petrol.

We didn't go back to the original garage as we lost faith with them after the price they charged!! So we asked a mechanic friend of ours to run a diagnostic on it and this what he found.

P0302 Cylinder 3 Ignition Failures
P0300 Ignition Failures Recognition
Lambda 1 signal below catalyst

Last edited:
Back