Technical Few Uno problems

Currently reading:
Technical Few Uno problems

No idea with the gearbox/speedo issue.

As for the blue leather issue - tried using black electrical tape? That might make it look much neater.

Took car to the service today, and even they couldn't remove the drivegear. It's so stuck :bang:. I'll take it there tomorrow again, and leave it there, hopefully they'll make it work :confused:.

Thanks for the black tape idea, I'll see if I can make it look neat using it ;).

OK, time for some feedback...

I spent a few hours trying to set up my speedo, cable, and drivegear.
Think I did it all right, but speedo just refuses to work. Everything else, including revsmeter is working superbly. Also, I checked cable&speedometer with a electric drill :D, it works. So, problem is in drivegear... :mad:
It rotates the cable, but so slowly that speedo wont even register it. Ugh.:mad:

The inner cable doesn't rotate that quickly unless you're doing over 20mph or so. As long as it rotates smoothly without jumping then everything should be fine.

What often happens is that the part of the inner cable (the rectangular pin part) that goes into the back of the speedometer can get pushed back inside the cable. There is a small round plastic collar that holds the inner cable in the base of the plastic housing (the part that clips onto the speedo). If you use a bit too much force when fitting the cable the inner part can get pushed back inside.

Using a pair of small needle nose pliers pull the inner cable out of the outer sheath by around 10 cm. You should see the small plastic collar somewhere in the vicinity of the rectangular end of the cable, and in fact it may be very near the end if the cable has been pushed into it. Now gently slide the plastic collar back down the cable until it feels like it clicks into place. It should be approx. 2cm from the end of the cable when in the correct place.

To refit the cable and to stop inner cable getting pushed into the collar again try this technique. With the inner cable pulled out of the outer cable by a few cm, fit the inner cable to the speedo drive connector first THEN slide the outer cable over it and clip it onto the speedo drive. This ensures the inner cable is engaged and won't get forced back into the outer cable when fitting.

As you can see, engine idles at about 1000 rpm. Is that ok?

Yes. The manuals all seem to suggest that they should idle around 800 - 900 rpm but I've always found that to be too low. Not only that, but you would normally set the idle with all the ancillary electrics off, so when you switch on the lights and other electrical items the idle can drop too much and the engine doesn't feel happy. As a result I always set my car's idle to 1000 rpm (y)

Thank you, very informative and helpful. Sadly, my problem is definitely in drive gear, as I've tested both cable and speedo (used an electric drill to rotate cable, speedo was working fine).

Glad to hear that engine is set up fine :p

SO!

Uno spent a couple of days at a service, and I paid 'em a visit...
Well, I'll say just :bang:. Oh, and a :bang:.
Have I said :bang: at all? No? Here: :bang: :bang: :bang:.

After spending three (and number: 3) years looking for a "straight" drivegear in hundreds of curved ones, apparently my car needs an ordinary, curved one.

That's exactly the reason why it wasn't ever working: someone force fitted the "straight" one, and it got broken. How'd they find one in the first place, is beyond me. Fingers crossed, we'll be up and running soon.

And, a final :bang:.

Drivegear fitted in, no cigar again.

Shows about 20-30 when I drive 60-70. Also, needle jumps up and down like crazy.

I am broken.

Check that the cable fitting into the back of the speedo is jammed in tightly, and the white plastic collar is clipped in.

Nope, I removed speedo and checked end of the cable. It turns awkward, skipping sometimes, which causes needle to fall.

I\ll try replacing cable, but it's most likely that I'll have to give up, after all the fight.

Yeah, replace the cable.

Its either that or the link into the gearbox that is causing problems. :)

Last edited:
Link into the gearbox? What do you mean?

Is there any way I can eliminate the drivegear from the suspect list?

But, with my luck, the gears in the gearbox itself are damaged, and bye speedo :cry:

I don't think I was clear enough when I said "link".
It isn't a specific "link", more a generic way of joinign two things (the speedo cable and the gearbox) together.

The cable screws into the gearbox.

The gears'll be fine - I reckon it's just the correct cable end you need, or another cable.

:(

You think it would be worth it to change gearbox over this?

Would you do it?

(don't get me wrong, I never changed it and I really don't know how much of a trouble it is, that's why I ask)

only as a last resort as it's a big job - almost as much as doing the clutch - which you may as well do when you change a gearbox ;)

I'd change the box ahead of opening one up but that's me. Don't think I could drive a car with no speedo for long but you can judge the speed by the revs when in 5th

First time I changed a clutch I figered I'd have a go and buy the correct tools as it was cheeper than paying somone to do the job, but try everything else first - speedo cable...

Just remmeber there are two kinds of cable, one with a square plug and one with a keyed plug, so now haveing changed the drivegear, you might need to get the correct cable that goes with it.

That other cable haveing sat idle for so long may also be seized up somewhat, maybe hang it up and spray a load of WD20 or something lubricating oil in at the top side, then spin it up a bit with a drill.

Last edited:
Many thanks, guys. Props to y'all for being willing and ready to help!

No, it's just boredom.
I have no social life.
I sit in the Uno forum, for 23 hours a day, waiting for people to interact with.

...please help me.

;)

Last edited:
Back