Technical Faults error messages

Currently reading:
Technical Faults error messages

Markb1977

fiat punto grande 1.4 t jet got a fault abs unavailable hillstart unavailable esr unavailable asr disconnected check engine and my dash and dials won't work until I press brake pedal ... No fault codes with reader changed brake pedal switch abs sensor seem ok any help please also trip button stopped working

Welcome to the forum.

Lot's of seemingly unrelated issues are usually one of 2 causes - failing battery, or poor earth connection somewhere. If the battery is old it worth getting it tested and/or replaced, but I'd put money on an earth connection being dodgy.

Welcome to the forum.

Lot's of seemingly unrelated issues are usually one of 2 causes - failing battery, or poor earth connection somewhere. If the battery is old it worth getting it tested and/or replaced, but I'd put money on an earth connection being dodgy.

I have checked the earths I can see

Direct connect the battery negative to the car's body AND gearbox using the two cables of a jumper lead set and see if your problem is solved …
I'd also check the Bottom of distribution box (fuse and relays next to battery) for corrosion/moisture/loose connection.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Direct connect the battery negative to the car's body AND gearbox using the two cables of a jumper lead set and see if your problem is solved …
I'd also check the Bottom of distribution box (fuse and relays next to battery) for corrosion/moisture/loose connection.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

So connect 2 jump leads to the negative and then one to body and one to gearbox ??

Yes, that's how its done with the original wiring, battery to chassis, chassis to gearbox …

BRs, Bernie

Ok so one lead to battery then to body and 2nd lead from body to gearbox

If there is no change, then the original earth is ok …

BRs, Bernie

seemingly unrelated issues ? Not really: they're all related to the ABS controler so I would definitely suspect that one to be the culprit…
I'd go first for a visual inspection of the ABS connector: disconnect (lift the plastic lever and pull) and chek for corrosion/moisture, you can also open it and check for broken wire or pushed-in pin. Strip the loom and check each individaul wire for dammage. First thing that comes in mind is the "speed signal" since it is needed for all the issues you described.

BRs, Bernie

Last edited:
Would this stop the display and dials working until I press the brake pedal I have tried new sensors but still the same changed switch under the pedal also

No no other leaks the slave wouldn’t cause the other problems though would it .got slave and clutch on order

Slave cylinder leaking as much as the master one got drained-out ??

Back