FAO Tom or any other ice god!

Currently reading:
FAO Tom or any other ice god!

P

Paul R

Ok, i have decided i need a sub.

I had previously bought two 12" JBL GT4 subs but had to sell these to help pay for my excess when i wrote my old car off.

Now i have my new car i have bass on the mind again!

I have decided to spend more money on one sub (somewhere between £100 and £150) instead of £100 on two cheap ones!

However...

should i go for 12" or a 15"?

And i really want a sub with bling, something like this...

29563.jpg

SPEC

Magnet weight: 80oz.
Power handling 550 watts RMS
Freq. Response: 26Hz-1kHz
Efficiency: 92.8dB
Operatiom: 4 ohm
Mounting Depth: 5 5/8"
Hole Cutout: 11 1/8"
Outer Diameter: 12 3/4"

This one would cost me £145,and is very high on my budget.

Just after opinions and suggestions really?

How about MTX subs? They have the polished basket aswell?

Suggestions needed!

Many thanks for any help, from anyone!

Paul R

People will say it depends on what u listen to - which is true. For all rounders, i'd go for two 12's.
MTX have generally had good reviews - but haven't heard them. Go for the bahn's! i like em!

R&B and slow/long bass lines favour 15's - but all good all-rounders are the 12's

"if i ain't moving, the music's not loud enough!"

Dean

If i get two 12's then i will have to get two cheaper subd like this one...

29188.jpg

And powering them would be alot harder (i mean more expensive)
but they look very bling inverted!

are vibe subs any good? a few of them look good (not inverted) but never heard any?

Paul R

The whole 'an xyz" sub is best for such and such' is not accurate.

There are more factors than simply the size. You can get 10" drivers that work better than some 15" ones.

I'd always get the best single driver rather than 2 cheaper ones.

Thats exactly what i want! plus i will save on boot space! as i want to have a spare 17" alloy in there on show and i want to keep the back seats!

What sub with bling would you recommend tom? and would you say 12 or 15?

I listen to rock/indie and D&B !

Paul R

For the price, Vibe are supposed to be quite good. When it comes to being inverted, i'm not sure how they'd look!

You can always spring for the one more expensive 12, and add another later (providing u have the juice to power it) - but if u want a bit of noise and looks, then spring for the cheaper ones!

Funny thing with me, was that i had bought at two subs and amp before i was able to drive my car! So by the time i had passed (almost a year to the day - 17thMay 2003) i could just chuck it all into my car!

A 12" would go in a smaller box. Vibe subs suck ass big time!

You are very limited if you want a shiney one though.

is there a differnce in sound from having subs inverted?

I wouldnt add to the system, i probably wont use any sub to there fullest! just wanna be able to play things that little bit louder then now! and want something looking good in the boot!

One sub will be loud enough for me!
just which one?

Paul R

I would prefer a shinny one!

MTX have some shinny ones! i might be able to get them cheaper then list through a friend aswel, what do you think of these?

I could alway just get a maystar sub, they are polished!;)

Paul R

Inverted DO sound different.
It'd take me too long to explain difference in sound but i've had experiences of both with the same subs. Both work in different ways too. Inverted boxes (that i know of) must be fully sealed, otherwise they flap alot and sound crap. Ported boxes (which are far more difficult to make) come across as a smoother type of bass

Deano, don't talk crap! :)

It makes no difference to the box which way you mount the speaker.

i beleive that if a subwoofer doesnt sound good with ALL kinds of music then it isnt deserved of any praise! 12in subs do give the best compromise of depth and punch. stay away from audiobahn subs - a friend has a 15in version of the one pictured on thread and its the slowest thing ive ever heard even with enough power. If budget will allow go for the genesis audiophile 12.1 - that is sweet sounding indeed which at the end of the day is all that matters! You could paint it chrome perhaps?

Tom they do!
It more violent when seeled and inverted! If my ears could speak, they'd tell you! :)

HAHA! Violent bass! Shake that brain and wake it up!!

thats not true my old 15w3 was as quick if not quicker than many cheap 12's.

b_se12v4.jpg

that definatly has bling!!!!!

but for £20 more i can get loads of bling....

29571.jpg

but back to reality, £150 is really my roof!!

But i do like that sub tom...i just find it hard to spend £150 on one sub! £200 is just out of my league (unfortunatly)

...so how you mount the speakers make no difference!

I'll take your word for it!
I can only go by my own experiences in these matters! :)
Dean

I miss that W3 man, that played amazingly low. Despite the speed of some of the beats it sounded its best with Drum n Bass/Jungle! I had it sealed though and ported is sloppy by comparison.