Fait failing in North America?

Currently reading:
Fait failing in North America?

today I went to a dealership (listed on a quick google search as Chrysler Dodge Fiat because there is no actual Fiat dealership..) I had gone to inquire about a replacement armrest for my 500, as the one fault it came with was a missing one. Turns out that would be a very pricey thing to replace since the part would be shipped from Italy, and the install on top of all that is a bit of job. I'm in no hurry to bother with it.

But the interesting thing in all this was that while I was talking with the parts 'guy, he said the dealership doesn't even sell Fiats anymore. They don't order them in, because nobody wants 'em. I hope I'm not in over my head with a car that may be hard to get parts for if I ever need them.

That conversation the parts guy kind of made me sad because I feel like they are wonderful little cars if only they're given the chance to impress... not to mention, just too cute. Maybe they are going to be something over here in North America that appeals to the people that like to be different. In the short time I've had mine, I've had strangers in parking lots literally ask me what it is when I get out of my car, because they have no idea and have never seen one before.

The fiat brand has never done we'll in the state's so they have basically decided to abandon the brand there and stick with Chrysler and dodge in the Europe it's the other way around Fiat' dodge and Chrysler basically don't exist apart from a small range of cars none of which sell in any volume

It's funny though, because the Abarth 500/595/695, etc. seems to have a really rather strong following out there with companies like 500Madness and Eurocompulsion, RoadRace etc. doing a wealth of parts for them!

Funnily, there was a part I wanted for my 500, and I could only get it from the US.

Since the take over of chrysler and Jeep, Fiat's attitude to the north american market has changed a lot, "why spend a fortune trying to market a european car to americans who want to buy american when we have a chrysler in our back pocket we can sell to them easily..." and so this is what they do.

I believe Jeep now accounts for something three quarters of FCA's income now, Fiat has become a minor part of its namesake company.

Back