General F reg light blue 4x4

Currently reading:
General F reg light blue 4x4

aww crap another car to weld... i mean ahh well done there john.. heh.. so now you can play with the 4x4 guys. just one thing.. these 4x4's are awesome in the snow... and also great fun on say large open flat space covered in snow.

you can drift a fiat panda really well.. snow drift.. that is haha

I'm tempted to attempt a drive, but that would mean getting a lift there and insurance and worry of wrecking it on the way back if indeed it hasn't got OMGHGF/MISFIRE specified in the ad.

I think I'll get shipley to do it for me. Garage is round the corner for a quick lift up to see what's what etc.

First thoughts are to convert it to fuel injection - is that difficult with a donor vehicle?

fuel injection is highly over rated.
could be hard to do on a carbed 999 fire. you'd need all the mounting points for the sensors. and they are not there if its carbed.
would be more easy to stick the fiat cinquecento 1.1 engine in it. and well if you was to do that.. may aswell stick the 1.2 8 valve punto engine in it.

8 valve fire engines are great as they all look the same :LOL:

i have half of the 899 injection system here.. but on a larger engine i think it would under fuel.

my advice is stick to carb for a while.. you will get use to it.
i plan to buy an exhaust gas tester at some point in time so i can tune my small fleet.
when i have got it feel free to come around for a tune up.

Last edited:
i think he has had a bad experience with them in the past.

once you get a carb set up right.. its like having fuel injection :cool:

Only simpler - even a monkey can sort a Panda carb... oh... no cat, sensors, ECU etc to play up. Just a basic throttle cable and choke cable that in a dire emergency can be replaced with string (don't ask). Only up side injected tanks are still available at a price....

Last edited:
Yeah collection within a week, from Hereford, a short jaunt at 190miles postcode is HR6 OLR.

Would be great to do a proper collection with a forumer, though I'll get some quotes from shipley,

I used shiply to get my Sisley from Gavin's and they charged about £43 for there commission. I now have the recovery guys number though so I'll PM you it. You can try him direct if you like and cut out the commission (y)

Last edited:
So what does that make me if I can't then :confused: :(

Don't worry, I can't either. Still prefer points & carbs though, coz even with fists of ham I can eventually get a car started! It may not run well, may be worse than badly, but I can rescue myself and take it to someone who knows what they are doing (y)

Sadly anything electrical, fuel injected, or similarly mystical, defeats me before I start. :eek:

I'm of the Clarkson school of screwdriver, socket set, or a ruddy big hammer. These usually work until you get something complicated........ :D

Edit: Are you definitely going to the sausage fest Jon Most Easterly Pandas ? I have acquired a not right Selecta which I'd value your experience on - it's not quite a Panda, but close enough & you may not notice if you squint (it's an Uno). :worship:

Last edited:
Edit: Are you definitely going to the sausage fest Jon Most Easterly Pandas ? I have acquired a not right Selecta which I'd value your experience on - it's not quite a Panda, but close enough & you may not notice if you squint (it's an Uno). :worship:

Indeed I am Gavin, would be more than happy to take a peak :) I remember you talking about it at Panda Camp :D

I don't have anything against carbs - it's sodding chokes I hate.

If you join the Freemasons do they tell you the secret of operating them?

All that push the throttle three times, pull it out an inch and back 2mm whilst rubbing your nose with your elbow rubbish :mad:

I just want a car that starts and goes without fuss.

Thanks for the phone numbers and offers of bits folks - grateful to you all (y)

John, just recite this little prayer every morning

"This is my panda. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. The Choke is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without it, my panda is useless. Without my panda, I am useless. I must start my panda true. I must drive straighter than other drivers, who are trying to overtake me. I must pap him before he paps me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my panda and myself are defenders of my sanity, we are the masters of rust, we are the saviors of my sills. So be it, until there is no rust, but peace. Amen."

and that is how you work the choke on a carbed panda

John, just recite this little prayer every morning

"This is my panda. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. The Choke is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without it, my panda is useless. Without my panda, I am useless. I must start my panda true. I must drive straighter than other drivers, who are trying to overtake me. I must pap him before he paps me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my panda and myself are defenders of my sanity, we are the masters of rust, we are the saviors of my sills. So be it, until there is no rust, but peace. Amen."

and that is how you work the choke on a carbed panda

Excellent.... just yank the choke and turn the key - mine starts first turn whatever the weather

Just came across an old thread and remembered this:

Any way of knowing if this is a 4x4 from these images apart from the badge on the back?

Not sure why you'd think the seller is lying :confused:

Then read this, which was unfortunately what I was concerned about last month:

well there is oil all over ......................

I'm also worried that I couldn't engage the 4wd, the lever just pulls up and down without any resistance and the light on the dash stays unlit.

Not sure how to do multiple quotes - so it all might look wrong?

Back