Technical exploring easier ways of fitting mudguards

Currently reading:
Technical exploring easier ways of fitting mudguards

exploring easier ways of fitting wheel arch liners

I have factory fitted wheel arch liners on all wheels. The front ones are a stupid design that feeds a large pile of dirt onto the inside of the front wing which you cannot get to unless you remove the liner. Dirt like that is never going to dry out even with the car kept in the garage.

The rear ones have done an excellent job of protecting the wheel arch but they do not cover the bottom part of the arch where it joins the sill. These liners are hard thick plastic and impossible to put back on again without removing paint and underseal from the edge of the outer wing that folds into the arch. That brown Tectyl on the rear wheel arches has been there since april 2012.

The plan is to make the rear liners bigger so they cover the bottom part of the sill and then to fix them with screws under the lip of the outer wing.

I want to do something similar with the front liners but it will not be easy to fit them to the outside of the wing without some modification.

The idea here is to have a way of easily taking the liners off and not ever have to do any cleaning under them, and not do any damage when the liners are put back on. I can live with the underseal coming off when the liners come off to be inspected but its annoying beyond belief to destroy all the undersealing when refitting the liners.

I want something that works easily rather than looks stylish.

Attachments

• PB060265.JPG
    PB060265.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 35
  • P9260187.JPG
    P9260187.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 28
  • P9260186.JPG
    P9260186.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 25
  • P9260190.JPG
    P9260190.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
All the mk2b ive seen were not lucky enough to get wheel arch liners on the rear of the car
Let alone any mud guards (optional extra)

The biggest issue is muck getting stuck above the filler neck and as you said never even dries out and is trapped = rots the car

Ive had my filler neck out and cleaned / sprayed the inside of my wheel arch to help reduce the rust build up
Not a guarentee tho...

Ziggy

All the mk2b ive seen were not lucky enough to get wheel arch liners on the rear of the car
Let alone any mud guards (optional extra)

The biggest issue is muck getting stuck above the filler neck and as you said never even dries out and is trapped = rots the car

Ive had my filler neck out and cleaned / sprayed the inside of my wheel arch to help reduce the rust build up
Not a guarentee tho...

Ziggy

The lesson seems to be if you can find a way to let your car dry out then fiats zinc and paint does a pretty good job.

Incidently I found if you spray your penetrating rust liquid in the rear seat top bracket screw holes it will quickly run down between the inner wing and outer wing and appear in the area where my screwdriver is in that hole. It then runs into the seals and out the drain holes. I think that hole for my screwdriver was created by expanding rust so I seem to have saved that side just in time. The other side had no hole and the inner guard was rusted through. I think the rust came from the outside where they put a large blob of putty on the seam - I suppose to protect the seam.

Attachments

• PB060267.JPG
    PB060267.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 34
Back