General Expertise Please??

Currently reading:
General Expertise Please??

entity_07

Anyone know how to get the plastic fuel filler cap insert out, without breaking it, do you need a special tool? Its for a mk1 turbo.

Al:slayer:

Last edited:
This is tricky!! took me a while to get mine off, (as you cant buy them anymore) soaked it in weasle **** (wd40)) a few times, the outer ring acts as a clip and is exposed to the inside wheelarch and gets covered in mud and crap, so blew the crud out and scraped it off (with high pressure air line) more wd40, and you have to gently tease it off by pressing the little tabs at the back and levering the ring, i used a plastic spreader ( or credit card) to jam under the ring, (oohh!!) to protect the paint and a mini screwdriver, and a plastic trim tool, took me a while and wound me up a bit but had to come off as holds the filler neck in, but perseverance will win!! Ant!

There is a white plastic ring on the inside. You need to take that off (its easy just use a screw driver and flick it off). Then carefully push the outer ring off from the inside (it has 4 tabs).

I totally agree with the last comment, that the first step should be to clean the inside of the wheel arch. This is for two reasons; 1 you can see what you are doing, and 2 sometimes dirt gets trapped in the system and means the clips dont work. To clean it just use soapy water, a brush, and a hose.

Be careful as the plastic can be brittle and the part is hard to replace. If you do break it then its not the end of the world. Its not a load bearing structure so you can fix it with super glue.

Thanks for the input. I had a go and broke it. Ahh well. Il have to try and get a new one. It was a beeatch to get off. It is impossible to get it off without breaking the clips. Its weird il post a photo.(y)

Nice one
Al

it can be done, so far I have tried to do it 6 times and I've been successful 3 times :) 50% aint bad ;)

Back