General Expert eyes wanted for Sei look over near Brigg Tomorrow Morning HELP!!!!!!!!

Currently reading:
General Expert eyes wanted for Sei look over near Brigg Tomorrow Morning HELP!!!!!!!!

Hi, I've booked a look with a seicento in Broughton DN20 tomorrow morning.

Just going for a tyre kick and a sit in it and to get a feel for the vehicle.

Anyone here local to the area fancy coming along and giving me a few pointers in what to look out for? Would really appreciate it, know it's short notice as I'm to be there for 11am.

This is the link to the vehicle

Thanks everyone John

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271151405190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Lift the carpet in the boot -- check for rust on wheelarch area and back towards rear of car -- this is 2 prescribed areas -- rear seat belt anchorages and suspension mounts -- a bugger to weld.

Check for evidence of head gasket issues and that the fan comes on before the warning light -- may take a while, and there's no temp guage in them!

Check for all gears and that it doesn't jump out of 2nd or 3rd.

First fault would probably be a walk away, the other are good negotiating points.

SPI car, so tuning, fault finding and fixes are usually simpler.

Lift the carpet in the boot -- check for rust on wheelarch area and back towards rear of car -- this is 2 prescribed areas -- rear seat belt anchorages and suspension mounts -- a bugger to weld.

And on that note.....don't be afraid to take a pen, or blunt poking instrument (seller may take offence at a screwdriver being used) and give a fair bit of pressure to the mentioned areas, particularly along the joins and welds......spray, underseal and mastic can hide a a multitude of MOT fail sins!

I'd pay atention to the brake lines up front and rear as well....the solid lines, and see how the handbrake works (a good haggling point).

Good luck :)

//edit sei's are better on the rot front though, wether it's becuase they are newer? or wether (as I suspect) they paid more attention to the galvanising as they were aware of issues already from the cinq)

above covers it really.. other than that your just looking for the normal signs of a looked after or not car. condition of oil, tyres, etc etc. Particular attention should be paid to the cooling IMO. Check how the coolant looks, clean or really brown and mucky and the system is all working i.e. doesn't take ages to heat up (top rad hose should stay cold as it warms up and then suddenly get warm when the thermostat opens, thats a good easy way to check the thermostat is working - if it warms up gradually the thermostat is stuck open, again pointing toward not particularly well looked after). And that the fan cuts in and out once warm.

Let us know how you get on.

Well I had a look......

No service history and looked like it hadn't been serviced since forever. Brown coolant, black oil leaking out of the rocker cover, advisory on suspension, two balding back tyres.
Bumpers both peeling and scarred. Whole front end peppered with stone chips.
Only one blue key, passenger side lock screwdrivered, boot lock inoperative. Drivers seat back bolster crumbling, dash shelf cut out, alarm bits and pieces in situ but not working.
Signs of rust coming thru rear wheel arch in boot, underseal peeling in places.
Had a little drive and nothing bad to report.
I asked how much he wanted for it and if he would sell it for the ebay price? No he wants minimum of £325 and uses ebay as an advertisement. He expects to weigh it in for £250.

I think the car is straight, just had 8-9 owners who haven't looked after it for most of it's life, I felt a bit sorry for it really.
It would with a bit of basic work make someone a good runabout for a year or two.

I'm really looking for a car to keep and cherish so I'll keep looking :)

Hi

I'd walk away go for sporting with one or two lady owners budget for clutch, water pump, cylnder head head gasket and engine fan etc...

The nearest one to me is an immaclate sporting girly owner who pampers...

Noel

Hi

I'd walk away go for sporting with one or two lady owners budget for clutch, water pump, cylnder head head gasket and engine fan etc...

The nearest one to me is an immaclate sporting girly owner who pampers...

Noel

Thanks Noel,

If it was less than £250 I might have been tempted :rolleyes:

I'm in no rush just taken a fancy to having one at some point, I'll keep an eye out for a good example :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back